Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!

Bean is going though what I thought was a heavy quilling. She was losing multiple quills a day plus she was pretty dry. However, after a few weeks of dropping quills i began thinking that this was way too much quill loss. Last night I took her out of her cage and there were quills EVERYWHERE! at least 20 quills laying right where she slept. Definitely not normal. I checked her quills and she seems to have a bald patch by her butt that I hadn't noticed before. I feel SO bad… I didn't think it was mites because she is barely scratching herself. The first time Bean had mites she scratched herself every 10 seconds. I feel horrible…

I made an appointment this morning for a vet visit. The appointment is set for tomorrow (Wednesday) at 5pm.

Does this sound like mites? maybe some sort of skin infection? has anyone had any experience with this?

I just want to prepare myself before I go in.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Well, it is hard to say for sure, but you are doing the right thing by taking her to the vet. It very well could be mites. Make sure they give you Revolution for it if that is indeed what she has. It is very possible that is what the problem is. Ask him to do a skin scraping if he doesn't see any. It could also be something else - it is a bit unusual that she isn't scratching.
Please let us know what they say.
-Susan H.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts