Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I recently purchased a female hedgehog and she is a little over 2 months old. The other day she got stuck under my couch and when I tried to get her out she scraped her nose and cut it a little. I felt HORRIBLE but she is perfectly fine health wise. (Please no negative comments, it purely was an accident). Ever since then she is very skiddish and puffs her quills very easily. Although she is still getting used to us I don't want this to traumatize her and her to be a mean hedgehog. Is there anything I can do to help her calm down and relax around me? I would REALLY appreciate the help!
Thanks so much

·
Registered
275 Posts
Don't worry! It will take time and patience but she will come around :) and accidents happen.

Try handling her with dim lights and soft music. Some say it helps relax their hedgie. Do whatever she's most comfortable with-- if she wants to snuggle and hide near you, let her. If she's an explorer-- let her do that. You can keep a t-shirt in your cage that's scented like yourself so she will familiarize your scent with safety and security.

She may also be quilling, which can definitely be no fun. Oatmeal baths are known to be helpful with that, but don't bathe too frequently or the skin can get dried out. Be patient with her!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts