Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Josehine was fine when I brought. 2 weeks later she wouldn't let me touch her or pet her. Took her to the Vet and was dianosed with mites. Treated with Revolutions. 2 weeks later I took her for her second treatment and noticed she had lost a few quills. Thought she was qulling. She was born July 11. Vet said loosing the quills could be from the mites. I so confused with all this stuff happening.
Advise please

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
Mites can cause quill loss. They damage the quills and cause them to break and fall.
Also they can loose a few quills daily, just like we shed a few hairs daily.

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
She's at the right age for quilling, so it could be either that or mites, or it could be both. I'm glad you're using Revolution to treat her, as that's the safe treatment! It won't hurt her to keep treating for mites just in case, even if she is just quilling. You should see some new quills coming in if it is quilling, or if the mites are going away & she's starting to get new ones back in. :)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am so glad you guys are here. I've notice that from her head and down her back there are no quills. I sort of looks like an canal. What's that all about. She's also huffing worst then when I got her. I gave her an oatmeal bath (Aveeno). She was not a happy camper. Again thank all for being her

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
No, now I can tell you to calm down. That little area is supposed to be bald. We call it the reverse Mohawk. The muscles there and the no quill combo are exactly what enables her to cover her face with her quills.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts