Hedgehog Central banner

Quilling bonding tips- grumpy toddler stage

1K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  HaineTheHedgie 
#1 ·
Hi, I have an adorable 3 month old hedgehog, Komaki, who I've had for about 5 weeks now. The first 2-3 weeks were great. She was super sweet and loved cuddling and being held. But ever since she started quilling a couple weeks ago she refuses to be held and has gotten very huffy and nippy. She even drew blood on my boyfriend when he tried to hold her.

I usually would hold her in a bonding pouch, but lately she just bites and scratches at it to be let out and I don't want her to be stressed or hurt herself so I just put her back.

I'm assuming the sudden behavioral change is due to the quilling, but that's all I know. I got my last hedgehog as an adult so this is my first time dealing with it. How do I keep bonding with her without stressing her out or getting bit? When she's done quilling will it get easier again? I just miss my cuddly baby...

#4 ·
Hi, I have an adorable 3 month old hedgehog, Komaki, who I've had for about 5 weeks now. The first 2-3 weeks were great. She was super sweet and loved cuddling and being held. But ever since she started quilling a couple weeks ago she refuses to be held and has gotten very huffy and nippy. She even drew blood on my boyfriend when he tried to hold her.

I usually would hold her in a bonding pouch, but lately she just bites and scratches at it to be let out and I don't want her to be stressed or hurt herself so I just put her back.

I'm assuming the sudden behavioral change is due to the quilling, but that's all I know. I got my last hedgehog as an adult so this is my first time dealing with it. How do I keep bonding with her without stressing her out or getting bit? When she's done quilling will it get easier again? I just miss my cuddly baby...
i got my 3 month old boy almost a week ago, i havent found any quills in his cage but he wants NOTHING to do with me! he acts the same way that your little girl does now, how did you make her so sweet!!?

#5 ·
Hi! Since you've only had him for a week and haven't found any quills yet, it may just be that he's a little more shy and hasn't bonded to you yet. Some hedgies require more time to feel comfortable with their new owners, so I think the best advice I can give is to keep handling him and holding him every day until he gets used to you. I also found that sleeping in the same shirt for a few nights and putting it in your hedgie's cage helps them get used to your scent and speed up the bonding process a bit. It may take a little while, but with daily handling even when your little boy is grumpy he'll warm up to you 😊 Hand-feeding treats may also help!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.