Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have an adorable 3 month old hedgehog, Komaki, who I've had for about 5 weeks now. The first 2-3 weeks were great. She was super sweet and loved cuddling and being held. But ever since she started quilling a couple weeks ago she refuses to be held and has gotten very huffy and nippy. She even drew blood on my boyfriend when he tried to hold her.

I usually would hold her in a bonding pouch, but lately she just bites and scratches at it to be let out and I don't want her to be stressed or hurt herself so I just put her back.

I'm assuming the sudden behavioral change is due to the quilling, but that's all I know. I got my last hedgehog as an adult so this is my first time dealing with it. How do I keep bonding with her without stressing her out or getting bit? When she's done quilling will it get easier again? I just miss my cuddly baby...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Yes, This behavior is caused by quilling. Usually when hedgehogs quill they get a little grumpier than usual. I'm pretty sure that soon after he has finished quilling he will be back to normal.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, This behavior is caused by quilling. Usually when hedgehogs quill they get a little grumpier than usual. I'm pretty sure that soon after he has finished quilling he will be back to normal.
Okay, that's good. I hope she's done with quilling soon and will be cuddly again. I keep trying every night and last night she let me hold her for a few minutes for the first time in a couple weeks. So I think she's close to being done. Thank you for your advice!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts