Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Quick summary:
5 month old male, quilling badly, I mean over fifth quils just today. No bald spots thoug, and all lost quills appear healthy and have a nice bulb. Has been a little crabby the past few days but today he was super friendly, then would suddenly be in his cage and ball up.

Today he has been splatting all day, and it's the first time I have seen him splat. I have had him over a month now. It had been around 78* in his cage.

He hasn't pooped since I've been up and cleaned his cage, so nothing all day. And I have been with him basically all day.

I am wondering if the splatting or the no popping are related to his quilling? I also got a bigger and better cage for him just under a week ago, and switched from pine chips to fleece.

Basically I want to know if it sounds like something is wrong and if I should take him to the vet. He has seemed and acted fine, and these developments have all been today, so it may be too soon to tell or I am overreacting. He is my first hedgie!! He is eating and drinking fine. All the other posts only covered one issue, but since mine are all occurring at the same time I was wondering of something more is up?

Thank you for your help! Since it was only today, I am getting up later tonight to check on him, and if there is no poop in the morning I am taking him to the vet. I just thought your input could help!

McKenna & MoMo

·
Registered
90 Posts
Sounds like he is just quilling. I am not sure if the quilling, splatting and no poop is related. One of my guys splats for a little bit too, I think cuz he hot or tired lol. I believe 78 is towards the higher side of the temperature range, maybe try turning it down to a couple degrees. I don't think no pooping for not even a full day yet is a concern if he is still eating and drinking. You could try putting him in warm water to see if he'll poop.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts