Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there. So I just got my hedgie a week ago. Unfortunately he/she is from a pet store because of my location there are no breeders around here. (I am assuming he is a he from reference from the pet store, but have been unable to confirm yet) At first I thought I had a bit of a tempermental hedgie because he would not allow any sort of movement and if there was he would pop and hiss. Named him Twitch for that reason! I got him settled into a much better environment and I feel we have made progress, he no longer pops when I go to pick him up and he will unroll from his ball within a few seconds now, before was not even an option. This morning however he bit me. After reading some of the forums I am going to assume that perhaps he was tasting my fingers because he licked first, is this a correct assumption, or could it still be his temperment. It was not a nice bite either, he bit and then tore almost, I bled instantly. Again after reading some forums I have learnt that I should not have put him back into his cage as quickly as I did so I will work on more socializing. I was also told by the pet store that he had been there a few months, and they did not give me an exact age so I am assuming he could be from 4-6 months old but he could also be as old as 8 months maybe. I did notice that he had a quill in his water bowl the other day, and that one or two of his quills that look longer may actually be two quills, one still just hasn't let go yet. Is this a sign that he may still be quilling or on the tail end of quilling. Perhaps this is a cause to his mood??? I apologize if these are redundant questions but the quills I feel are in such a small amount, I'm unsure if that is a reasonable conclusion. Thanks in advance for any help!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Alright, guess if no one out there has words of wisdom to offer, i will try it myself. I've had two hedgehogs before but I got them after they were a year old already, I know very little about this quilling thing they go through. It was almost a safe haven to think that there were others out there willing to share their experience. I think perhaps I had high hopes for this forum, but sadly disappointed as no one out there could offer any suggestions.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you very much for all your responses. I will put all of that into effect immediately and see how it turns out, if something works it will stick if not, your right Immortalia I will definetly have to exercise patience. The petstore had him on wood shavings, as I did for the first two days that I brought him home but switched over to fleece. The possiblity that it is mites is there so I will be taking him to the vet to treat him if it happens to be that. If the vet can either confirm that it is quilling then maybe I can get a closer stick on his age. I do have another question about the adult quilling though. Are the quills going to be coming into new spots filling out the back of my hedgehog making it thicker, or are they replacing the original quills that came in those first couple of months or is it both? Again thanks for the responses, I learnt more here in those few moments by reading this then I have spending hours searching.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.