Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Hello!,

I'm sorry I didn't answer before. I'm new myself. :)

Mine is from a pet shop as well. I took him for a vet check a few days after I got him for the same reason you are describing. I was unsure of if it was quilling or mites. I also had other animals to consider and needed a clean bill of health. It ended up being quilling. I gave him a regular Aveeno Oatmeal bath treatment and it helped a lot.

As far as the biting, the pet store advised me when I got him to put a t-shirt in with him that I had worn so he could bite and annoint with it instead of me directly. It worked beautifully! I never feed him from my hand and do not allow my kids to either.

The picking up issue. I had this problem also and bought a pack of cotton flannel baby receiving blankets. I fold them over a couple times and picked him up with that for quite a while. I would let him lay on my lap and pet him over the material and slowly worked my down a layer at a time until it was just him.

Like I said I'm new, and although these all worked for me I'm sure others will have better ideas.
:)

·
Registered
334 Posts
ashleighn23 said:
The petstore had him on wood shavings, as I did for the first two days that I brought him home but switched over to fleece. The possiblity that it is mites is there so I will be taking him to the vet to treat him if it happens to be that
Please do not allow the vet to give a Ivermectin injection. Check out these links:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2628

I'm glad you came back and the information helped. :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.