Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had milo for almost a week now and he will be two months on the 21st I was wndering when he will start quilling? And how to handle him if I should when he does. And when a bath should be done? Do I just use water or add a soap?

·
Registered
226 Posts
When hedgies quill it's not really something big to worry about. They will be a little grumpy when you try to pick them up because he will be in pain. Don't stop picking him up though. There will be a lot of quills in the cage so be sure to take them out every day.

You can give him an oatmeal bath which will help with dry skin and help sooth him a bit.
I personally wouldn't use soap because it can be very drying but I am sure there are some soaps you can use but I just prefer to do the oatmeal bath.

Good luck! :)

·
Registered
658 Posts
Hedgehogs will quill around 7-12 weeks old, and it will last from a week to a few weeks. The best thing to do is very gentle handling, as well as refraining from putting your hedgie on his back, and petting his back as his quills will be very sore.

You can also give him a warm oatmeal bath - Aveeno baby oatmeal products are popular, or you could just take a handful of plan oats, put it in a thin sock, and swish it around it the water (the water will get cloudy). You can also add a couple drops of olive oil to help with the dry skin.

·
Registered
837 Posts
I usually use just water when I give my hedgies a bath. I do have a shampoo from the vet that I will use on occasion.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts