Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Bean is a 1 year old apricot hedgehog. I've had her for about 10 months. She is very picky.
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed my girl has lost about 20 quills in 5 days. I'm not sure if that normal.

Background info:
DOB: 2/20/2020
Current weight: 226g (she's smaller than average
Food: mazuri hedgehog diet (vet recommended)
Health issues: was cured from bacterial overgrowth in fecal about 3 months ago
Other: still eating wormies, drinking, eating less food that before because she's likes dried wormies now so she gets those every night

·
Registered
Holly is a female African Pygmy Hedgehog. She weighs about 463g and was born May 28, 2019.
573 Posts
Maybe she is having a late or a second quilling? Also, I'm not sure that food is super good for hedgies?

·
Registered
Bean is a 1 year old apricot hedgehog. I've had her for about 10 months. She is very picky.
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maybe she is having a late or a second quilling? Also, I'm not sure that food is super good for hedgies?
It was recommended by her vet. Cat food causes kidney issues cause it's too much protein and fat for hedgehogs tiny bodies

·
Registered
Holly is a female African Pygmy Hedgehog. She weighs about 463g and was born May 28, 2019.
573 Posts
Ok. I haven't heard that before but I am super curious to know if that's true because I want to give my hedgehog the best food!

·
Registered
Holly is 3 years old. Super cuddly and loving.
2,197 Posts
Dried worms every night isnt good for them, it can cause blockages and they are no good nutrition wise.

Mazuire hedgehog food isnt much good either, theres a lot of plant based fillers which hedgehogs struggle to digest which means you will be lacking nutrients.
Hedgehog food is also not designed as a sole diet and only a supplement to wild hogs, this means that it will never be complete for hedgehogs needs.
Hedgehog food also tends to be high fat, and or high calories, as its meant to be able to help bulk up hedgehogs for hibernation which is no good for hedgehogs and likely to cause overweight issues.

Having the wrong protein that they cant digest like being all plant based will still cause kidney issues. Therefore hedgehog food is just as easy to cause kidney problems as low quality cat biscuits or ones way to high in protein.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts