Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I realize this might be a bit better suited in the mite section but I have a male hedgehog who is about 9-10 months old. He had very dry skin and was itching. I took him to the vet and had a scraping done so I know he had mites, the vet treated him with revolution every two weeks for three times. She does have experience with small animals. Anyways doug was losing some quills I at first thought it was another quiling or quills falling out from the mites but he is now bald around his butt and the side. He still scratches so we've been putting oil on him daily (olive oil) and tried to add oil to his food. She did another scraping a 1.5 weeks ago and didn't see any mites, but he is very bald in patches. I see some new quills growing in those spots but not a lot.

I switched him to a bedding that is recycled paper with something called odour block from his former aspen wood shavings because I thought it might be better for him. The bedding is changed daily. The balding is on his butt and wrapping around the sides. I was thinking because that's in contact most with the bedding that it might be an allergy to the bedding.
We also switched him from cat food which was making him fat to a hedgehog food but that changes was 1 month ago or longer. The soap we use to clean the cage is hypoallergenic with a melon scent so I don't think its the soap.
Also he has some new quills which are growing in white (only 5 or so) and some quills have been a little bent.
Is this mite related or allergy?

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Have you thought about changing to fleece bedding? Did the vet check for bacteria or fungus?

Why did you choose hedgehog food instead of a lower fat cat food? (Just curious since hedgehog food is low quality overpriced cat food)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can change to fleece bedding but he wasn't happy going to the bathroom on it I guess i could do a combination of aspen shavings and fleece. I switched foods because I knew he needed calcium for his bones and I wasn't sure what cat food would meet his nutritional needs.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Put a litter box under his wheel and he most likely will go on it and on the wheel, that's how most do it.

Also any good cat food will provide what he needs. Read the stickies on the top of the nutrition part of the forum and it will tell you what to look for in the food. I personally rather make the homework and get the best possible food available.

Maybe a change of food and fleece might help.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No she did not. I didn't think to ask about it, she believes the loss is from mites. I'm going to get some fleece for bedding today and going to look for a good catfood now that I know what I'm looking for. How do you test for a bacterial or fugal infection?

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I believe the vet does a skin scrape and in the lab they see if something grows (that's how they do in humans). If it's not mites tell the vet to check for the other 2 things. You are your pet's advocate and sometimes by doing your own research you can have more information than vets with little experience with hedgies (that applies for humans too).

Keep us posted

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for the help he goes back to the vet on sunday for a final dose of revolution and a scraping. I will ask about the other types of infections and see if she can run some tests for them. I hope we figure out something for him soon. At least he still behaves normally that's a small comfort.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts