Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HELP! I have quill questions! We have had Sneezy for about a year now, and he is super and healthy and happy from what we can tell. When I check out his little quills I notice new baby quills growing, some are smaller and thinner than the ones he has, is that normal? or does that mean he is not getting some nutrient that he needs??? Another question- I found a curved quill that grew in, is it safe to cut it so that it does not grow back into his little body? Or do their quills have nerves in them? He has always shed a lot of quills too- like 5 or 6 each time he is out. There are no bald spots, and we check with a microscope for mites, he does not itch or look like he is in any discomfort- i think we just have a general non-knowledge of quills- so any help would be super!! thanks so much!

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Other people have posted about curved quills and the responses didn't say what to do if anything. I think that it may just be something that happens. Maybe try a forum search on bent quills to see if you can find those posts.

As for the smaller thinner quills. I think that is normal if they are growing around the edge of his normal quills and his fur. You should do some forum searches though and see if you can find anything that gives you more information.

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
A lot of hedgies have curved visor quills, but I've never heard of it being bent so extreme to where it would come back to the skin. If that's the case, you can go ahead and cut it so it doesn't poke Sneezy. The quills are just modified hairs, so it won't cause pain.

Year quillings are common, as are seasonal "shedding". It doesn't sound like the quill loss should be a cause for concern. :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts