Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
My Henry has been loosing the odd quill most nights since i've had him, but the other night i woke up & found 15 in his cage. I've also noticed hairs which i've not seen before. He's too old to be quilling (roughly a year old) and there are no obvious bald spots that i can see.

He's also been going to the vet on & off about a dry ear problem on one ear, which the vet was not too worried about.(viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2375) She also doesn't believe him to have mites (he scratches occasionally but not all the time).

Hes his normal self, eating a drinking etc. Hes put on a little weight but he seems to have a got a little bigger in size as well. Im using Flaxseed oil on his ears & back and it goes in his food twice a week. An oatmeal bath roughly once a month.

He now has another vet appointment on Monday as not only the quill & hair loss, but his other ear has started to fade in colour & look a little dry. But in the mean time does anyone have any suggestions i can put to vet? Is it most likely to be mites?

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
Some hedgies go through a minor quilling at 1 year, Inky did. :)

I am actually on a wild goose chase to find out why *my* boy has dry skin and is losing quills, and I'm confused enough as it is. :lol: I'll let someone else fill in the details.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I just used flaxseed oil for my female hedgie who had dry thick ears. This worked wonders. I rubbed a tiny bit all over her ears and after two applications a few days apart her ears are in perfect condition.

Can't answer quill question.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
We're going through a similar thing here. Can't answer the question but my vet has suggested Sunshine factors. Haven't picked it up yet though so can't comment on how it will work. I know at least one other on this forum has used it

1 - 4 of 4 Posts