Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Winston's Comfort Wheel has been driving me nuts (and keeping me awake) with its constant banging against his cage wall, and I think the listing from side to side is discouraging him from running as fast as he'd like (as soon as he starts to really go, the wheel will start banging and he'll slow down again). A scrunchie only stops it from moving a little, but not really enough to be effective. So, whilst I wait to get my CSW (silly Paypal... 6-8 day transfer? More like 12-14 days...) I have come up with a solution for the wiggling and bang-bang-bang of the wheel, and I figured I'd share it here for anyone who's interested.

Observation: The wheel doesn't bang around as much when on its wire base.

Problem: If not attached to the cage, it could fall over and hurt Winston.

Solution: Buy a large bag of medium sized zipties (They're about $3 for 1000). Put the wheel on its base, and position against the side of the cage. Take two zipties, and loop them through the cage-connector part on the back of the wheel, and then around a bar of the cage. Do this on both sides of the connector.

Et voila! I say buy a huge bag of zipties because you have to cut them off every time if you want to take the wheel out of the cage for cleaning, but they're so cheap that it doesn't really matter.

I hope that helps someone with the same problem! If anyone wants pictures, I'll take a couple and post em here, once I've found some batteries for my camera...

·
Registered
5,914 Posts
nessariel said:
Buy a large bag of medium sized zipties (They're about $3 for 1000)
That is a very good price for zipties! I buy them by the 1,000 for making my wheels and 1,000 cost me $19.95(that's counting shipping) :( that is for the 8 inch zipties and they are heavy duty as well.

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
Here's my fix. It prevents the wheel from tipping over and easily can be removed for cleaning. The hook can rattle a bit sometimes but a chunk of tissue wedged in it stops that. I've never found it to be bothersome.

Vasaline on the center shaft works great at quieting the wheel. It depends on the cage but sometimes the wheel is quieter when placed on top of the liner, others better when placed directly on the cage floor, under the liner.

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts