Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have done a lot of reading on wheels and went with the Flying Saucer ...but cant seem to get him to run on it..(granted only had it for about 2 days)..but when i put him on it and try to give it a lil'spin to show him it moves he just walks off of it... this is he's 1st wheel (that i know of)
so im not sure if its just bc its hard for him or if its bc he doesn't know what a "wheel" is for...like other hedgies here he seems to like to go behind it..

how did you guys "teach" your hedgies to walk on this thing?....will he just get the point after some time on his own?

also..it seems kinda hard to spin..i mean it doesnt spin loosely ...like if i hold it by the base and give it a spin, should it spin fast and for a few seconds? or should it only spin about half way then stop?..was thinking about adding some oil to the pin/hole..(Veg cooking oil of course)

·
Registered
29 Posts
I use the flying saucer wheel and it did take a couple days for my Brillo to understand it. For awhile he would just sit on the bottom of it. What you can do is set him on the bottom of the wheel and but a treat on the top, that way when your hedgie tries to run up and get it the wheel spins. Now he runs on it all the time! Its so easy to clean too. But I don't remember it ever being hard to turn. And as for going behind the wheel....that is Brillos litterbox. But he ONLY goes behind the wheel, so its almost like having him litter trained! :D

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
The flying saucer shouldn't be hard to spin, or need oiling based on the way it's made.

I've had lots of hedgies here use flying saucers. All of the ones who've had wheels before caught on very quickly, and the 3 that hadn't took 1-2 nights to catch on. I've never personally cared for one that wouldn't use a flying saucer.

If you need to you can put him on it and block the way to walk off with your hand, forcing him to walk in one direction or the other to try and get off. Usually after finding they can walk like that, they'll go running without any more help.

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
It sounds like your flying saucer isn't spinning very free. The one I have will do numerous turns if I give it a spin. Some veggie oil might help.

I tried the flying saucer with numerous hedgehogs. A few loved it and would use it when given a choice between a bucket wheel and the saucer. Some would use it if it was the only choice given but prefer the bucket. Others would not touch the flying saucer.

My concern about the flying saucer is that it is an unnatural running position and I foresee the possibility of joint damage.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Sorry if this is kind of necroposting, but Quinnton keeps crawling onto his saucer, taking a few steps, and falling off backwards. Is it too small for him or is he possibly just not "getting it"? I'm worried he's not getting enough exercise. He is currently completely underneath the base scooting around as if it's a shell & he is a turtle. I'm wondering if I should just get him a comfort wheel or if he'll catch on with the saucer.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Sweetie never "got" it, but Harvey uses it every once in a while.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
You can always get a cake walk wheel, they are big, easy to clean, and have a flat surface with no holes or slits to catch their nails. :) Here's a link to LarryT's wheels that on sale during the month of August: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=4844

·
Registered
275 Posts
The largest size of flying saucer is a12" diameter. That's the one you should be using with your hedgehog.

·
Registered
578 Posts
I gave my new hedgie Daisy a flying saucer last night, as I took away her evil silent spinner while we're waiting for our prefered Larry wheel to arrive from my mom's house... she was on it within minutes of waking up and seems to really enjoy it.

She ran like a crazy hedgie all night long on it, she seemed to have to find a rythm but when she did she was pretty happy looking. I too think the angle is strange, but it's much better than fearing she'll hurt her feet in the wheel she came home with.

I also got the largest size, which I think was 12" or a bit more, it seems like it's the right size, anything smaller wouldn't be though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts