Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I'm getting a hedgehog in about 3 weeks, and am doing as much research as possible beforehand... I want to give my hedgie the best life I can. The hedgehog I'm getting is almost 2 years old, and has never had a heat source, she has tried to hibernate once before but her current owner caught it before she actually could. I want to get her a heat source to make sure this doesn't happen again, so my first question is, do you think the fact that she's never been heated will effect her long term health (or lifespan?) and secondly, I like the idea of a CHE heater very much, is it just the reptile ones you buy at pet stores that I should use for her cage? Or is there something else or specific for hedges?
Secondly, I built a c&c cage for my hedgehog, and am using fleece liners. I also sewed her two hedgie bags :) My cage has a second "shelf" level that she may or may not use, and I'm wondering what everyone's opinions on building a ramp are? I know it has to be completely enclosed and at a very easy angle (under 30 degrees I've read...?) but what is the best material to use, and what's the best thing to line it with? Wood with fleece on top? Corolast and carpet? Nothing I read seems to give me a clear answer to this, so any opinions would be appreciated :)
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
658 Posts
Holy potatoes, a hedgehog that's NEVER had a heat source! Poor thing! Personally, I would definitely invest in a heat source. Do you know around what temperature her previous owner had her in? If it's not too off, like around 60-70 degrees, it probably won't be too much of a problem to get her accustomed to a higher temperature. I would start off slow though, like only have her cage in the low 70's, and see how she does (if there are any behavior changes, not eating, drinking, etc). You can also definitely ask your vet about it, too.

Also, you can buy the supplies needed for a CHE at a pet store, or online (I recommend online because it's usually a lot cheaper). There isn't any bulbs/lamps specific to hedgies, but just make sure the bulb doesn't give off any light - it shouldn't, if you get a ceramic heat emitter bulb - and a lamp with a socket - like a porcelain socket - that can handle a ceramic heat emitter bulb. It'll typically say it right on the package.

And I've never used a ramp myself, but from what I've read, wood isn't recommended because it can harbor mites. If you must use wood, I believe you need to use a sealant on it. But, you can definitely use other materials - some people build ramps from the grids from the C&C cage, use several pieces of coroplast, even some people use dryer vent hoses. I'd suggest either using a google image search for hedgehog/guinea pig ramps to get some ideas, or you can check out this thread, which has tons of cage examples:

http://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/13-housing-accessories/1611-cage-setup-examples.html

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! And awesome thread, that helped a lot. Her "normal" temperature is just around room temperature, so she probably could be fine in my house (which is always at 72) but I'd still like to get her as happy as possible so I think slowly introducing a heat source would be a great idea.
As for the ramp I think I'll give it the wire base of a c&c cage and then a piece of cloroplast with fleece over it, then covered with a bent c&c grid- hopefully this works.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts