Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Me and my boyfriend have had our hedgie Xena for about 3,5 weeks now. I have finally conquered my fear of her quills and can now pick her up with my bare hands instead of with a tshirt.

But I have a few questions. She sleeps in said tshirt in her cage but no matter how long we stay up, she will not come out of the shirt until we leave the room and shut off the light. If we stay up till midnight she wont be out yet but if we go to bed at 10 and I go to check at 11, she'll be running around in her wheel. Would you say she does this to see if it will stop us taking her out of the cage? I have now gotten into the habit of just taking her out around 9. She usually stays in my lap head down (hiding from the light?) but yesterday I rocked her back and forth in my hands and it seemed to relax her and made her a bit more of an explorer.

Another thing is: we live in Ireland but I am actually from the Netherlands. We are going there for 5 days in the middle of december. Friends of ours live in the appartment above us and are really responsible, so I feel confident they will take good care of her in our absence. But should I advise them to handle her or not? On the one hand, I don't want 5 days of no handling to set back our progress, on the other hand, she does not really know there people.
Any thoughts?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Not coming out until you guys leave is totally normal. My guy refuses to run until my fiance goes to bed (usually much later than me), sometimes as late as 2 or 3 in the morning. Other times, if we're gone, he'll start running at 11 or midnight. Anyway, it's normal, and it has nothing to do with you. Hedgies are just shy.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Yeah, my Sophie is just like that too. What I do is try to turn off the lights in that room around 8, and give her an hour to wake up and run around a bit, then grab her and cuddle her for at least an hour. I find she's also more friendly when I do this, because she's had time to wake up instead of just being yanked out of sleep.

With the neighbors, I personally wouldn't have them hold her. I mean, you said yourself it took awhile to get used to picking her up, and I wouldn't want to chance them dropping her or something. If they're really good with pets, and want to hold you, you might try to arrange a day before you leave when they can hold her with you there? That way she can get used to them with you around.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Not coming out until it's dark and the humans are gone is typical for many hedgies. Mine actually growled at her hedgiedaddy last week when she noticed he was watching her her run.

I'd say, yes, have your trusted neighbors handle her while you are gone. It will keep her acquinted with the human touch and they'll be better able to tell if there's something wrong with her and she needs a vet. Invite your neighbors down to meet her before your trip so that they'll know how to handle her. Start establishing a regular schedule that your friends can follow (eg, pick her up to play at 9pm every night and have her back in her house by 10pm -- or whatever works best for you). When you go, leave a t-shirt that you've worn with your neighbors so that your hedgie will still have your scent.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey guys,

Thanks for this so far! I have another few questions. I'm a bit worried about Xena at the moment. Reason being that she does not seem to poo much (don't know about pee, difficult to monitor). She is about 12 weeks old now. It's a bit colder out these days but she's eating and drinking, wheeling and after a bit of rocking, does uncurl in our lap. She also feels warm to my touch.
I do have to say that the breeder gave us a small bag of food that lasted about 3 weeks, then we had to buy new food. My partner got it and he got royal canin kitten food. 36% protein and 16% fat if I do remember correctly. I intent to change to normal royal canin after this. She seems to eat a bit less of it, which I am putting down to it being a bit richer than the last food. In addition we give her a mealworm about 5 times every week. Should I give her more supplements to keep her pooing or are there any other thoughts? Anything appreciated. We have her almost a month now.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Unseasoned pumkin works wonderfully for pooping purposes.

You might be right in that the transition from the original food to the new one felt a bit abrupt to your little one and perhaps she eats, then poops, less. Adult hedgies do poop less than babies, but I wouldn't expect a noticable decrease in the time she's been with you. The change in temperature may be another factor. I know you said she feels warm to the touch; do you have a way of regulating her environment's temperature and a thermometer that allows you to monitor it?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
she has a snugglesafe for extra warmth and since it getting colder my bf got a thermometer but he got one for medical purposes, one of those u stick in your mouth. so we need to get a new one this week!

unseasoned pumpkin...would that be seeds or the flesh...?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
got a bit angry a second ago because i found out that with the couple that will take care of her when we are gona, the girl might not want her in their appartment. they live upstairs from us but im not happy with it at all. in that case the guy needs to have a serious checklist that will take up at least an hour of his day... :evil:

·
Registered
414 Posts
Unseasoned pumpkin is the stuff that's sold in cans at the store. There's pumpkin pie filling (which has a bunch of added spices) and there's unseasoned pumpkin. You would just want the unseasoned pumpkin. Technically it would be the flesh (you should never feed your hedgie seeds of any sort), but I would just buy a can of it instead of carving out a fresh pumpkin. That way there would be no worry about any pesticides/other issues, and it would be a lot less messy too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts