Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am moving back into my dorm tomorrow, and my hedgie stays at my sisters (who lives near my university) and I go care for her every night. Problem is, they're trying to save money on heating so their house is 60ish degrees. I need to go get another CHE bulb thing, should I get the 150 watt? Will that keep her cage warm enough with a heating pad under it as well? (her cage at their house is very small, just 2 feet x 3 feet)

·
Registered
902 Posts
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=4579

A very good source for heating information.

You don't mention what kind of cage you are heating. In my opinion its difficult to keep an open-wire cage warm if you don't keep the surrounding area a bit warmer as well. Sterilites, I believe, keep in the warmth easier than open cages. 60ish is really cold. Are we talking 60ish or 65ish?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think more like 65ish. I have an open wire cage, I think I'll try to come up with something to help insulate the heat and prevent a draft... Maybe put a towel over some of it? Any other ideas? I could always get a tub, but that could overheat as well. If in this case that's a better option, I have no issues going and buying one, they're very cheap.
Thanks for the link to the thread, btw.

·
Registered
902 Posts
I wonder if you could use those Chloroplast panels that people talk about, around the outside during her stay with your sister? To help keep it warmer. I'm sure others will have input as well.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was actually thinking of seran wrap around the sides, maybe leave a side and definitely the top open for good ventilation. It's clear so she would know when it's light out, and it would cling well, and a few layers should hold in the heat. I bought a 150 watt CHE today. Hopefully that won't be too hot. Can anyone think of any issues with seran wrap? I'm going to experiment with it and the CHE later.
Thanks for your help, krbshappy.

·
Registered
902 Posts
I don't know about saran wrap (as it is so thin, could it melt?) but its a good idea to use something clear as you mentioned so he can see the light of day hours.

I wish I could link to the exact paragraph, but at the bottom of this page: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=4524&p=36518&hilit=plastic#p36518

Nancy talks about what kind of plastic she uses and how she arranges it. Maybe there's more ideas in that thread, as well for you.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you so much! I'll run to Wal Mart tonight to see if I can find that plastic and clothes pins. I'm experimenting with the seran wrap now. It takes some patience to wrap it. :x
Thank you for being so helpful!

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
Don't use saran wrap. It is too flimsy and too much risk of a draft moving it. Whatever you use, it can't be near the emitter.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the help, y'all. I got the thicker plastic mentioned in the earlier thread linked on here. Hopefully that, plus the heating pad and emitter (not near each other, of course ;) ) well be enough. BUT just in case, I'm going to give my sister some money for the heating bill to get it a little warmer!!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts