Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!

I was just cleaning Rorschach cage and I notice something strange about his poop:

He usually "goes" in a certain part of his cage. His stools used to be what you would call normal: looked like dental paste, brown and long.

This morning I foud poop in other parts of his cage, and they looked like a mini version of a normal stool: they're little, but they're also like a brown dental paste.

Is this diarrhea?

He's eating fine and he has all the water he could need, but I'm worried because he hasn't had any changes that could bring diarrhea... Help? :| :| :( :?

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
Diarrhea is very soft poo or watery poop. What your describing sounds more like his poop is a bit dry. Is there a watery area of brown around the small pieces?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Sonic does sometimes get the very wet stuff, especially on hot days where I have watched him sit under his water bottle for a good 15mins after a work out on his wheel. Sometimes it doesn't hurt to check what your hedgehog is up to before, you make assumptions, also learn what your hedgehog's day is like. Like does he sleep all day, or does he get up at times to eat then go back to bed, does he use the wheel often. My dear Sonic is fairly consistant on the times he gets up, its kind of like he has an alarm clock lol.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hello Nancy. Thanks for answering. No, there's not a watery area of brown around the poop... but yesterday I was watching him walking around and he "went" in his playing area: he peed and pooped a small piece (firm and brown) and then he sat there for longer than usual. Usually he was walking even as he went to the bathroom...

Does this means he's getting letargic? He wasn't afraid, because his quills were back and he wasn't hyperventilating, he just sat there. Then, when he got up, he walked around a little more and went again in other part, and again it's a small piece (no pee this time)

Help?

·
Registered
594 Posts
Could he be constipated?

Maybe try to feed him a little unseasoned canned pumpkin.
If that doesn't help he could have an obstruction and may require a vet visit to be on the safe side.

I'm only guessing here so you should probably see what Nancy or another one of the more experienced owners say.

I hope the little feller feels better soon. :|

·
Registered
151 Posts
I don't think you should feed pumpkin, I think pumpkin is for when they have diarrhea, not constipation? If so, it might make it worse.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I've recently had a similar experience with Quigley, it went away on it's own within a week and he pooped normal again for about four days. Last night they were small again. Is it normal for them to get constipation occasionally?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi! I don't know if I could get any pumpkin around here... I'm gonna try.

Shelbys Mom said:
I hope the little feller feels better soon. :|
:D Thank you Shelbys Mom! He did feel better!

hedgielover said:
I've recently had a similar experience with Quigley, it went away on it's own within a week and he pooped normal again for about four days. Last night they were small again. Is it normal for them to get constipation occasionally?
Yeah, it happened to me too! Yesterday Rorschach's poo was normal and he had a lot of energy again... So I guess they do get constipation now and then, yes?

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
For the canned pumpkin, they come in HUGE cans, and you'll never use all of it before it goes bad. What I do is I'll scoop about a teaspoonful into ice cube trays and freeze them, then pop them out and store them in a freezer bag. That way, you can just take out a cube when you need it, microwave it and give it to your hedgie.

If you can't find pumpkin, I think someone else here uses squash and got the same effect. There should be squash baby food that you can buy as well.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Immortalia your freezer must be full of hedgehog ice cube treats ect. :D seems like you always suggest making ice cubes out of everything. :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts