Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I recently got a hedgie and he's been really itchy. He scratches a lot and i haven't noticed any real quilling. Although I have seen what looks like two pieces of quills that have fallen off of him.
like... not the full quill length but they're about half a centimeter long and very thin... as if two pieces of quills just split off.

He's a little over 10 weeks old now and I'm wondering if that would be mites or if it's regular for them to scratch like that.
He's not doing it all of the time... but after i wake him up he'll walk around and then stop to scratch about 5 times.

What do you think?

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Theres a couple things it could be. Those little quills you are talking about I remember coming off when mine was quilling and it wasn't actually a split quill but just some smaller quills by his skirt that were shed. Sometimes they will scratch too if they were kept on shavings or other beddings besides fleece prior to getting them home. You can give him a bath with some Aveeno to sooth his skin. Just make sure when giving a bath that you keep the water out of his face and ears and make sure its not to deep until you find out if your hedgie likes water. This will help if he's itching from dry skin, quilling or from the old bedding. If the itching continues after this you might have to look into possible mites and bring him in to the vet to get Revolution.

Hope your hedgie feels better :)

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you SO much! that was reallyyy helpful. i have three bottles of the aveeno baby body wash with the oatmeal stuff [i stocked up] and i'll give him a bath tomorrow.
the breeders actually did keep him in shavings and i moved him into his new home [with fleece bedding].. so i'm hoping that's what it is.

he hasn't scratched at all today so maybe he's getting more used to the fleece.
also, his nose hasn't really been wet today like i thought it was supposed to be... do you think that has anything to do with it or is that maybe the hot/cool temp changes. i went out today and my mom had the heat cut down [i haven't gotten my thermostat to hook up my heat emitter yet so i dont want to overheat him]... i told her it HAS to stay at around 70-73* so i changed it back and i've been sitting with him on my bed and he's just really tired [he's 10 weeks old, and pretty new so i know that's normal].

sorry i'm talking so much.
but what do you think about that?

thanks again!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts