1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
First question is, does the wire floor come out of that cage? If not, the cage is not suitable for a hedgehog unless you cover the floor with coroplast.

For that size cage a 100watt emitter should work but it's always best to buy the emitter from a store that allows exchanges if it is the wrong size.

The most important part of the heat emitter setup is the thermostat. You must have a thermostat to control the temperature.

You do need a fixture with a ceramic socket but the fixture must also say it is for ceramic heat emitters. Some of them are not heat emitter safe. If the box doesn't say it's safe for emitters, don't use it.

There are many many threads about heat emitter setups including this one.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=4579&st=0&sk=t&sd=d&start=30

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for your concern guys, but the wire floor actually DOES come out and I have already taken it out and the bottom is smooth and metal and I put velcro on the bottom as well as on several fleece pieces which are doubled over so it's plenty safe.
:]

Just needed to know about the emitter but thank you very much.
I'll post pictures when I'm done with all of the modifying of the cage.

The wire floor I took out was turned into a loft and it's really cute.
It has a cardboard [wrapped in a trash back so it doesn't get soggy if the hedgie pees] and on top of that is more fleece and I have sides to it so he won't fall off.
I've done my research for months, trust me. hahah.

I was just needing to know about the heating part.
Also, I did read the entire thread about "heating simplified". I'm just cautious and would like to be absolutely sure I'm getting the right wattage.
I'm getting the thermostat and ceramic heat emitter as well as a ceramic clamp lamp.
Thank you all for the advice and concern. He's a safe little guy with his mommy, don't worry.
:]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts