Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering what is normal in terms of how much fur/skin there should be behind the ears before the quills begin! I can't find any good photos of this area and I'm just curious. (Of course, I would like some standard to compare my baby to.) thanks!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Not a whole lot immediately behind, but it starts up again quickly. I could only find 3 photos where you can kind of see, but I can try to get a good one later. In all other front facing and above photos, you can't tell at all. So, there shouldn't be a bald spot by any means, but it may be a little bit thinner there.

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Well there should be a little gap between the quills and fur. I thought Thorne was losing a LOT of fur behind his ears because there was a bald line/patch between the fur and the quills on both sides, but it's normal. I've attached a picture I took of Thorne's ear today, he is losing fur on his belly but his ear fur isn't falling out, it's just clumping up so it looks a little sparse. The bald space between the fur and the quills is normal.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well there should be a little gap between the quills and fur. I thought Thorne was losing a LOT of fur behind his ears because there was a bald line/patch between the fur and the quills on both sides, but it's normal. I've attached a picture I took of Thorne's ear today, he is losing fur on his belly but his ear fur isn't falling out, it's just clumping up so it looks a little sparse. The bald space between the fur and the quills is normal.
Hello, quick question... how old was your hedgehog when you took the photos? I feel like my hedgehog scratch his body a lot since his quills are coming out. He is only 7 weeks old. I noticed a gap or lack of hair behind his ears and I was thinking that maybe he is itchy everywhere and he could harming himself unintentionally. Please help,

1 - 5 of 5 Posts