Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!

I have been using this site for the last couple of months to research hedgehogs. I finally got one (Mr. Hedgehog), I have had him for two weeks (which makes him 7 weeks) and it was love at first sight. We built him a c&c cage. Its 3ft by 6ft so he has plenty of room to explore and run around. We made him a wheel from the top of a cake saver. I was using paper towel as a liner at first (suggestion from the breeder to find out what spot he likes) and just switched to fleece liners this weekend. I keep my room at 74 degrees and he has a space heater too just in case.

Mr. Hedgehog is a little different. I have never seen him ball up! He sticks out his quills and makes noise when I wake him up but after that I can pick him up no problems. His quills lay totally flat when hes out. I can take him out of his cage and have him out with me. He explores and then likes to cuddle. His favorite spot is next to my neck on my shoulder. The only problem is he poops everywhere he goes.... :)

The problem is I am worried about him. When I put him back in his cage after having him out he runs straight back to his bed. He then stays in his bed ALL the time. If I am not there he runs in his wheel and everything is moved in the morning. When I am there he doesn't come out. I am worried as this is not a great quality of life. He is in my bedroom which means I am there most nights.

Is this normal? Is there anything I can do to get him used to me being there so hes not scared to come out? So far we are a perfect match, but the quality of life for him being in his bed all the time must not be much.... :/

We all love pics, so I have attached a picture of him and his cage pre-fleece liners.

Attachments

·
Registered
295 Posts
Baby hedgies have a tendency to sleep a lot, so I wouldn't be concern with it. They are also nocturnal, so this would be the reason that everything is shuffled around in the morning. I usually refer to the morning's mess as "the party". As far as not wheeling in front of you, this is completely normal as well. I would say that most hedgies like their wheeling sessions to be private and at night when the room is dark and quiet.

As far as getting him used to you, you can put a shirt that you have worn in the cage with him. This will allow him to get used to your scent. I cannot promise this will make it easier for him to come out of cage more when you are around, but, again, that behavior is completely normal.

Nothing you have described here is cause for any concern. Sounds to me like you have a normal hoggy! :)

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
A bit OT, but 5 weeks is very young to be already in a new home... Most hedgies go to new homes around 7-8 weeks, though some at 6. Where did you get him that he was so young?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
He was born on the 1st December and I picked him up on the 6th January. I got him from a breeder in Indiana who I have complete confidence in. He was weened and easily eating hard food. The breeder was full of information and I chose to get him from this particular breeder as he didn't seem like a hedgehog farm. He knew what he was talking about and enjoyed his hedgehogs. I first looked for hedgehogs that needed re-homing but didn't come across any in Michigan, Indiana or Ohio. I then researched 3 different breeders in IN and OH and found him to be the most knowledgeable and caring. I visited the hedgehog at 2.5 weeks (2 hour drive) to make sure that I liked where he was coming from. :)

I realize that he is nocturnal. I have his cage in my room, and when I stay in my room he doesn't come out all night. When I am not in my room I see signs of him being out. I am worried that being a hedgehog and being defensive/scared that he will stay in his bed if I am sleeping in the same room as him. I am just worried that he is not getting what he needs... such as peace and quite away from me!

He is young, and I am probably over worried :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts