Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I once again am seeking advice...as alot of you know Paco had burnt feet about a week and half ago( v-day to be exact) They are healing up quite well, no infection, redness or puss. We at first only took him out for feedings, but the last 5 or so days we have taken him out for a couple hours to run around the floor. I am wondering when would be a good time to put his wheel back in. I of course do not want to cause any more harm to him, but I know that he is probably missing his wheel. As well, if he is using his wheel a bit, then I am hoping that he would eat/drink more than he has been. Any suggestions/advice on how or when I should give him wheel back.

·
Registered
912 Posts
I'd put it back after his feet look back to normal (or as normal as skin gets after being burned). And I wouldn't put it in overnight at first as he might become so happy to have it back that he won't stop running to give his newly healed feet a rest. I'd put it in for maybe an hour or two one night, then increase the amount of time each night provided his feet continue to look healthy.

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
Weird, I replied last night and it's not there.

I'd ask the vet as to when it is safe. His skin is going to be tender for a while and probably wouldn't take much to run the skin raw and then he'ed be running in his poop. I don't think I'd rush to give him his wheel back. He'ell be fine without it for a while longer. :D

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So I talked to the vet a couple days ago, and said in moderation for using the wheel and to watch out to see when he messes on it and clean it up right away. So that last two nights I have been camped out on the couch, waiting to hear him on his wheel. He has only gone on it for about half hour each night, but surprising to me, he has not mess on the wheel. He has gone to the corner, which as made it easier. As well the news I would like to share, is that he ate close to 50 pieces of food. :D I tried Fromm Salmon a La Veg, it has 32% protein and 15 % fat....I could not believe how he ate...I just hope that is lasts. I am wondering if it is because of the kibble size, is it smaller/rounder instead of a triangle or longer pellet shaped. For now, this is the only food I am going to feed him until I can find another food that has the same kibble size. So if anyone has any suggestions please let me know. Well it looks as if things are starting to look up for Paco. I check his feet a couple times through out the night, and again in the morning, and they are getting better each day.

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
That's great news. I'm glad you found something he will eat on his own. I've never tried that type of Fromm but maybe I will. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts