Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me begin by saying that I am a complete dunce when it comes to nutrition... I barely passed Nutrition 101 freshman year. But I realize how important diet is in keeping my hedgehog happy and healthy, so I'm doing my best to research the nutrition issue, no matter how baffling I find it!

I currently am feeding Annabelle the mix I received from her breeder - it's a combination of about 6 different Purina cat foods and a Blue Buffalo food. I would go get the sheet she gave me with the exact names, but Annabelle is sleeping on my lap right now, and I would hate to disturb her. ;)

Anyway, I was hesitant to continue feeding the Purina because many people I know who have hedgies regard it as nutritionally insufficient "junk" food. When I asked the breeder about this, she said that her hedgies have done well on it for years, and that she has never lost a hedgie to fatty liver disease like other breeders she knows who feed the more expensive, "higher quality" foods. She told me that once the starter bag runs out, a mix of two or three Purinas with another food, like the Blue Buffalo, would be sufficient for her. What do you think? I am happy to feed whatever Annabelle needs to live a long, healthful life, and she seems to like the Purina mix... but I'm still iffy about it. Please help!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Purina can be rather junky... i find there are too many preservatives, poor quality ingredients including by-products, and a huge amount of bad grains i.e. corn-gluten meal.

I believe Reaper posted a list of both acceptable commercial cat foods and hedgehog diets at the beginning of this section, i found it very useful! :D

My hedgehog is currently eating a mixture of Sunseed Hedgehog food, Katz'n'Floken by Solid Gold, Chicken Soup for the Cat Lovers Soul- Adult Light. Both of these are high protein, low fat. They both contain good sources of meat, and good grains (brown rice, millet, barley, etc.)

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I know Purina isn't the best... that's why I'm a bit skeptical. I am more than willing to buy her a higher quality food, but she seems to like the Purina mix... I talked to the vet about it today (she had a check-up since she just got her) and she said that she wasn't sure what the best way to go is, but that should would read up on the literature and get back to me. I am mainly worried about the link between feeding "high quality" foods and hedgies developing fatty liver disease. :(

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Lots of high-quality food are also high in fat. The reason purina is low in fat is because it uses a lot of low fat fillers such as wheat and corn and soy which are essentially empty calories for our little guys. Go with wholesome ingredients that are also within the range for fat and protein that Reaper lists, I believe 30% protein and 8% fat. I think that people who feed high quality and loose hedgehogs to fatty liver disease could be feeding a diet that is too rich in meat and high in fat. Just be careful.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts