Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would be interested in see a nutritional fact sheet on the food. I can't find a list of ingredients or how much protein, fat and fiber is in the food
I will type it out. I couldn't find it either, but I thought my brain may have just been fried from homework ;)

Pure Balance Turkey & Sweet Potato

Guaranteed Analysis
Crude Protein - Min 32%
Crude Fat - Min 18%
Crude Fiber - Max 3.5%
Moisture - Max 10%
Lineolic Acid (Omega 6) Min 3.5%
Magnesium - Max 0.15%
Vitamin E - Min 250mg/kg
Taurine - Min 0.15%
Alpha-Linolenic Acid (Omega 3) - Min 0.5%
Abscorbic Acid (Vitamin C) - Min 50mg/kg

Ingredients
Turkey, Chicken Meal, Dried Ground Peas, Pea Protein, Natural Flavor, Poultry Fat (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Dried Sweet Potato, Whole Flaxseed, Dicalcium Phosphate, Salt, Choline Chloride, DL-Methionine, Vitamin E Supplement, Taurine, Zinc Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Niacin, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (source of Vitamin C), Magnesium Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Vitamin A Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, D-Calcium Panthothenate, L-Carnitine, Sodium Selenite, Riboflavin Supplement, Pyridoxine, Hydrocholride (source of Vitamin B6), Biotin, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (source of Vitamin K activity), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Folic Acid, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Cobalt Sulfate, Potasium Iodide

My mom bought it for our cats. The picky on refuses to eat it, of course. :eye roll:

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
Personally I'd avoid it with the menadione sodium bisulfate (and a couple other reasons though they're less iffy), but otherwise it doesn't look too horrible, considering it's a Walmart brand. If you're unable to get something else from a pet store, you could use it if you'd like to. Personally I would go for something different though.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Personally I'd avoid it with the menadione sodium bisulfate (and a couple other reasons though they're less iffy), but otherwise it doesn't look too horrible, considering it's a Walmart brand. If you're unable to get something else from a pet store, you could use it if you'd like to. Personally I would go for something different though.
That's what I was thinking. What is/what is bad about menadione sodium bisulfate? Can I ask your other reasons?

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
Here's information on menadione - http://www.dogfoodproject.com/index.php?page=menadione

My other reasons are that it has poultry fat, which is too vague & means it can include fat from dead, dying, and diseased animals, and now that I look at it again, the other reason isn't actually as bad as I thought - sometimes with foods that boast about being grain-free, they still have so many non-grain fillers that it's not a good food anyway. I'm still iffy on them having dried peas & pea protein separately, and followed by dried sweet potatoes - all of those being dried and being added together means it's possible that they outweigh the meat even though the meat is first on the list. But sweet potatoes are a good choice, at least, though I'm not as fond of the peas (peas are high in sugar). Really, the biggest issue IMO is the menadione.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts