Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about using puppy training pads in my litter box, but was wondering - all of the ones that I have found say stuff like "specially treated to attract puppies!" and "with puppy attract technology!" I'm assuming they use some sort of chemical or pheromones to make the puppies want to pee on the pads, but is this going to be dangerous for my hedgehog? Should I try to find a training pad without any "puppy attracting" qualities, or will it really not matter?

Also, I'd use paper towel, but am worried about A) smell and B) shredded and ingested paper towels. (I'm considerably more concerned with B than A. Smells I can work around, hedgehogs choking on paper towel? Less so.)

Examples of training pads with puppy attracting nonsense:
http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.j ... Id=2752006
http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.j ... Id=3641001

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
I think there have been cases in the past where the puppy training pads have turned into a mess. If you were able to find one with no chemicals or pheromones I think there have still been cases where the hedgehog dug into them and got in between the layers. I use papertowel in mine and haven't had a problem with my hedgehog trying to shread it (may be different for another one though). The only thing I have ever witnessed with the papertowel is that on occasion my hedgehog will take the clean on on top and pull it into his house. Bounty works great because it absorbs a lot of pee and everything sticks too it, when I take it out you would have never known he went to the bathroom in the cage :)

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I remember reading about hedgehogs chewing on the liners & the inside fluff ending up everywhere. I use fleece for the cage and papertowel for the litter. When my hedgie first came home I used cage liners. I can't remember what they were called, but I think they were from Walmart. They're in this photo.
(The wheel is a silent spinner & not recommended due to the slits & possibility of tipping)

·
Registered
15 Posts
I use puppy training pads under Dusty's wheel. He has never done anything to it but poop and pee on it. They work out great for me. I precut the size I need. One pad gets me three days worth.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Do NOT use these if your hedgehog is a digger or you think he might be. Here is a link to my post on my bad experience with puppy training pads. Not only did it make a HUGE mess, he got them lodged all in his quills and it took me hours to get it all out. And you do have to pick it out because hedgehogs are prone to dry skin and if left can give them a really awful case of dry, itchy skin.

http://hedgehogcentral.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3557

Paper towels or yesterday's news are much better alternatives. (I never once had a problem with Quillbert when I switched to paper towels)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts