Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I went to a local pet store (not a big name store like Petco or Petsmart), and asked what they had for dry skin, for cats, and told them I have a hedgehog.
These are some products they showed me. I have an almost-8-month old girl who is getting some wicked dry skin and dandruff, so I've been trying to help her by putting some ground flax seed in her food, giving her oatmeal baths, and using olive oil as a rinse. I'm going to be breaking out the humidifier soon, but her skin is just SO BAD, and she itches quite a bit.

Has anyone tried these products, or do you even think they would work? I of course have all the ingredient lists, too.

Attachments

·
Administrator
3,588 Posts
Ashley, have you taken or considered taking her to a veterinarian for a skin scraping yet? Is she losing quills at all?

Overly dry skin that is itchy can be an indication of mites, or even a bacterial infection. I'm treating a boy now who has a skin infection. He has no pustules, or redness, but has what looks like wickedly dry skin with some quill loss. Skin scraping showed he has a lot of bacteria on his skin. So we are starting by getting rid of that and then determining if it was a symptom of another issue.

You are doing about everything you can already for dry skin. Add humidity to the air is about the last item you need to try. But you may want to consider a skin scraping to rule out skin problems.

To your original question, the ingredients look ok to me, some of them look really interesting. My biggest problem I have with pet shampoos is often they have a lot of scent. They may not have fragrance added, but the ingredients used in a couple of those can be strongly, naturally scented.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
milk and oatmeal baths with a few drops of coconut oil works wonders for my hedgies' dry skin during quilling :D

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I do have a vet appointment schedule for next week Monday and told them that she's probably going to need a skin scraping. She is still losing some quills, but she's never been "normal" about quilling, she's never lost more than 2 or 3 here and there, and the last few days she actually lost about 6 while in her blanket while I was holding her--that was when I knew I was going to take her in to the vet.
As to some of the shampoos, I did smell them myself, and probably would get the hypoallergenic one, but not the vanilla and almond one since it was really strong smelling, even to me.

·
Administrator
3,588 Posts
Good luck and keep us updated on her veterinary appointment. I'm quite interested to see if they find anything. My boy was losing a couple of quills every now and then as well. Nothing alarming and seemed relatively normal for him. But that changed, and his skin started getting overly dry/flaky and the quill loss increased. At the moment the antibiotics seem to be working. I guess time will tell if this is just a symptom or if it was really just the problem.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So- no mites! Or anything bacterial, and the vet even did a fecal test. The best assumption is that Sonic has a mild reaction to the bedding, and it's just giving her itchy skin.
So, we're making the switch to fleece, and getting her paper pellets for litter since she seems about ready to be litter trained (she's been going potty in the same area for awhile).
My biggest concern is that she absolutely LOVES to burrow in her bedding, and the last time I put her in some fleece, even with fleece strips, she just couldn't manage to burrow how she likes. How can I replace her burrowing habits? I've heard of fleece forests and will be trying it, but she likes digging down, like under her wheel... Options?

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts