Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I've owned my hedgehog, Finnegan, for almost four months now. Since he is a boy he does enjoy some boy time. It was more frequent when he was younger and it doesn't seem to be happening too often anymore. A few days ago when I was handling him he got a little too excited. I noticed that when his balls came out (I'm not sure if that's what they are, I'm not an expert about hedgehog genitals) that they seemed to almost have a slight tear in them..? The one thing that caught my eye was something almost like sticking out that seemed red. I only had a few glimpses the past few times I've handled him. It doesn't seem like he is bothered by it. No changes in his mood/personality, he's eating all of his food, drinking plenty of water, going to the bathroom regularly (urinating even), running on his wheel most of the night. If there is a slight injury I'm not sure if it is something that will heal on it's own or I should do something about it. I feel like he may have bitten himself during boy time and I'm making it a bigger deal than it is. I'm keeping an eye on it but it doesn't seem to be bothering him at all since he will still have boy time once a day or so and is producing semen (which would be a problem if there was a big tear in his balls correct?). Any advice on what I should do or what this could be???

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Don't you mean his penis? Because the balls don't come out, they're internal. His testicles are the "lump" on his bum (with some it is more visible than others). When they have boy time the penis comes out of the shaft and it's pinkish/reddish. I think that's what you have been seeing?

(There's a picture of it in this article: http://www.reproduction-online.org/content/120/1/143.full.pdf+html )

1 - 3 of 3 Posts