Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I adopted my hedgehog a few weeks ago. He is around two years old and has had two owners before me.

A acquaintance approached me because I had shown interest in her hedgehog and owning my own on previous occasions. She felt like she didn't spend enough time with him, so she was looking for a new home. I agreed to meet him and see if I wanted to keep him. Before doing so, I did a bunch of reading on the internet and got some books from the library.

When I went over, I was saddened by the circumstances he lived in. When I took him home I wasn't surprised that he was lazy and lethargic, as the research described would happen when hedgehogs are under-stimulated and under-exercised.

I would really like to make sure he is a happy hedgehog and have bought him a wheel, some balls, and provided him with other toys to play with. He's not interested in any of them however, and would just rather burrow away for a nap, no matter the time of day or night.

Does anyone have any tips on how to reverse his lethargy? I would really appreciate any help!

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Getting the wheel for him was good. Alot of hedgehogs won't wheel when people can see though so he might be up wheeling when you're sleeping. Just as a side note I'd make sure that the hedgie has a warm belly, that he's getting 12 to 14 hours of light a day and that the temperature is at least around 75 (some like it warmer, few like it a tad cooler). I bring these up because they can be another reason for lethargy. Also what food was he on, it may be a clue also.

Hope your hedgie gets to feeling better :)

·
Registered
902 Posts
A wellness check from a vet wouldn't hurt either. :)

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
My hedgie is similar, the result of a weight gain when on medication. In addition to diet changes, I have a play area set up on the floor (warm room) that she runs around in. In it is a small fleece blanket, some stuffed animals, paper towel rolls, a body pillow, pvc tube & her food. I removed all play things she normally hides under & when she's hiding under the blanket for a long time I will pick her up & move her somewhere else. She really seems to love the PVC tube (even had it out on the sofa with her last night while friends were over & they commented it was the most active they've seen her). The body pillow is towards one side of the pen, with a small space between the pillow and fencing. She likes to run along it 'hidden.' She also get's occasional 'swimming lessons' which she doesn't care for too much but she is a lot more active following them, almost like a 'warm up.'

Some owners also suggest putting some live crickets (store bought) in the cage or tub (empty) with the hedgie for them to hunt. Similarly, hiding treats/food around the cage encouraged foraging activity. *Watch out with live meal worms on this one if you have a wire cage. My hedgie normally attacks meal worms within seconds so I gave her a couple one day, as they crawled towards her cage I figured they were goners. Couple days later I came home to find a meal worm crawling across my kitchen floor.... :roll:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts