Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was stretched out an hour ago with a bloody hedgehog in my lap searching the forums here... now that's dedication. All of a sudden Priscilla's foot started to bleed, I was holding her at the time after just taking her out for a play session and she was balled up for a long time. I think she has bent her nail back as once I washed her foot off and finally got a good look that seems to be what has happened. In which case she must have done it on the tube she lives in that I slid her out of.

Either way, as horrible an experience as it was, it's over now. I talked to a vet on the phone, a lovely man who gave me a free phone consultation and he said it is highly unlikely to get infected, based on his personal experience with hedgehogs. However I value this group's collective knowledge and I was wondering if there are any precautions I can take. The only thing I could think of was perhaps removing her wet cat food until she heals, in case standing in it causes an infection, but perhaps I am being paranoid.

The few posts I've made to this forum have all been seeking advice and I'm sorry to be take take taking all the time! Once I am a more experience hogmother I will be able to give back some more.

·
Registered
336 Posts
You might want to take her wheel out for the night, as a precaution.

And don't apologize for asking questions, it's how you learn. :D

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
Her foot will probably be fine. I'd give her a foot bath and watch for any redness or swelling. Regular polysporin ointment is safe to use but probably not necessary. Make sure you don't use pain relief as it is toxic.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I thought I'd follow up to let you know Priscilla's foot seems to be healing perfectly and doesn't seem to be giving her any bother. Her nail still seems higher than the others but I think this will right itself as she heals and as the nail grows.

Thanks for the help. :)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Priscilla's been with a hogsitter for just under 3 weeks while I went home to London to see the family, and now I'm back I'm happy to report the nail has grown back and she is as happy as larry...

...well, until I whip out her uterus on the twenty first...poor Priscilla. It never ends!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts