Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I Have been feeding this to my 10 week old girl and now im starting to question if its good for them or not cause after looking at the reviews for it it looked scary
"potentially hazardous" and so on is there any cheap hedgehog food I can get from a pet store that is really good for my girl.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I Have been feeding this to my 10 week old girl and now im starting to question if its good for them or not cause after looking at the reviews for it it looked scary
"potentially hazardous" and so on is there any cheap hedgehog food I can get from a pet store that is really good for my girl.
There is currently no good "hedgehog food" available at local pet stores. Most are made with many fillers (junk, sometimes dangerous and usually not nutritious) and are also too fattening (many were initially created based off of treats people would give wild European hedgehogs). That's why we give various cat foods that have whole meats as the first ingredients and certain percentages (protein content of about 30-33%, fat content of 10-13%, and fiber content of 3-9%. Anything higher than that fat recommendation could cause fatty liver disease).

My hedgehog is currently eating the food the breeder used which is "Fromm Gold Adult Dry Cat Food," but I have also purchased/added in "Hedgehog Precision" (only current hedgehog food I know of actually healthy for hedgehogs) and "Catit Nuna Insect Protein & Chicken Recipe." Both Hedgehog Precision and Catit Nuna have black soldier fly larvae as the first ingredient, which are the healthiest bugs you can give a hedgehog. The Fromm Gold one is high in fat which is alright for babies but not really recommended for an adult hedgehog (after 6 months of age or so). Please remember to slowly transition to new foods over a couple weeks, gradually adding more of the new food(s) and less of the original to prevent stomach upsets since they have sensitive tummies.

I know you probably haven't looked over the "heavenlyhedgies" website I have provided links for before, but please try and find some time to explore it. It has a lot of great basic and more in depth information about hedgehog care.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Coastal Quills Premium hedgehog diet is great I've been feeding it to my herd since 2019! So for CQ its a blend of chicken based cat kibble high quality grain free 32% protein 12 % fat Sweet potato flour to help digestive issues, benebac probiotic powder, Cricket flour, ground flax seed, mixed dried bugs including crickets and BSFL and is well balanced. It costs $25 for a 1.5 lb bag (1 month) or $35 for a 3 lb (2 month supply) We ship! Order it from our website www.coastalquills.com

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Coastal Quills Premium hedgehog diet is great I've been feeding it to my herd since 2019! So for CQ its a blend of chicken based cat kibble high quality grain free 32% protein 12 % fat Sweet potato flour to help digestive issues, benebac probiotic powder, Cricket flour, ground flax seed, mixed dried bugs including crickets and BSFL and is well balanced. It costs $25 for a 1.5 lb bag (1 month) or $35 for a 3 lb (2 month supply) We ship! Order it from our website www.coastalquills.com
Ok thats cool and all but is advertising your on website allowed on here??

·
Registered
136 Posts
The Coastal quills kibble sounds cool, and I don't want to be mean or anything, but I am eager to learn and possibly rethink what I've gathered so far - aren't dried insects worthless apart from the chitin? Plus I am not sure about the sweet potato because of the starch content, or is it the starch helping with digestion? The only polysaccharide hedgehogs are supposed to be able to digest is chitin as far as I know. The best way to administer veggies is through gut-loading live insects, because your hedgehog then gets a predigested form of cellulose. I am providing my hedgie with cat food that isn't only grain free but lacks any type of filler like peas and potato... so it's completely animal derived. Apart from that, he gets cooked meat every three days and a cooked egg once a month.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yes chitin would be the point 🙂 as well as well as variety. Cricket powder also offers the chitin. As many owners know, hedgehogs are insectivores and need chitin to aid in digestion. Sweet potato flour serves as a form of pumpkin, if needed, it is a way to sneakily provide something that will help their tummy in the event that they need it and is palatable and shelf stable. A lot of times I have babies that might need it due to adjusting to new homes. Sweet potato flour is added in order to ensure if their tummies upset it quickly goes away vs turning into a bigger problem. We add dried insects to mimic the flavor of their natural diet and add vitamins that they would miss out on if not blended while keeping it shelf stable. Even when creating insect based cat kibbles dried bugs have to be added for shelf life stability. Live gut loaded insects and eggs and cooked meat should still be fed to enrich your hedgies diet! A staple kibble is important while looking for quality. I try to take the guesswork out for our adopters and provide them with an affordable healthy balanced option kibble wise.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I agree with what’s been mentioned by Ragou in terms of the dried insects being worthless additions to a hedgehogs diet. To me personally, the mix by ‘coastal quills’ just has worthless additions almost to make it appear as a more quality mix (note dried insects + added probiotic powder), when oftentimes it is the more simplified diet that is the best.
Hedgehogs just need a quality dried cat kibble (which most include pre/probiotics as is, no need for extra) + a wide variety of LIVE insects.

breeder also advising use of bin cages which is very dated advice and too small for a hedgehog. They are super active animals and need a bare minimum of 8 square feet of space (if not more).

my Two cents that nobody asked for. But the best diet for a hedgehog is one without unnecessary junk - which includes dried bugs.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Your
I agree with what’s been mentioned by Ragou in terms of the dried insects being worthless additions to a hedgehogs diet. To me personally, the mix by ‘coastal quills’ just has worthless additions almost to make it appear as a more quality mix (note dried insects + added probiotic powder), when oftentimes it is the more simplified diet that is the best.
Hedgehogs just need a quality dried cat kibble (which most include pre/probiotics as is, no need for extra) + a wide variety of LIVE insects.

breeder also advising use of bin cages which is very dated advice and too small for a hedgehog. They are super active animals and need a bare minimum of 8 square feet of space (if not more).

my Two cents that nobody asked for. But the best diet for a hedgehog is one without unnecessary junk - which includes dried bugs.
That's pretty unkind, 😔
I hope you get whatever it is that you're looking for out of this forum. We are known as the only breeder standing up against all the horrible Mills in South Texas and combating bybs on a daily basis along with our work with the US hedgehog breeding community. We work closely with the public and discourage pet store purchases as well as intake elderly hogs that are in need and dying due to years of neglect from uneducated owners and offer them safe haven. I was so excited to participate with this forum and contribute knowledge and experience and share my passion with pet owners. At least south Texas has the friendliest babies you'll ever meet because we work with them on a daily basis. The comment was very unkind and disparaging. Wellness cat taste of the wild prey and solid gold are in our blend with the dried bugs and benebac and sweet potato flour. It is targeted to transition little ones that are needed after consulting with 2 well known breeders with decades of experience on what we can include to keep little tummies happy during transition time and give them the best of what they need.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Ok, we got really far from the original topic!
First of all, let's remember what unites us: we love hedgehogs :D

I want to keep it short, because it`s probably not the right thread to discuss, but I think that polite exchange is very important and helpful especially on forums like this.
@Cqtxcoastalquills: Thank you for the detailed explanation. I looked through your website and it honestly comes across very professional for me. I like the advices concerning the choice of breeder and hedgehog care. I am an amateur hedgie owner I have to say though. But I`d trust getting a hedgehog from you, had I lived in the US ;) At the same time, I first became member of a German hedgehog community (I am an expat from Hungary) where I met like really strict opinions on hedgehog care and I recognize that regional differences heavily influence how people view animal care and what they consider good in general. So it`s often a very subjective matter, I think and scientific literature on hedgehog diet is also scarce. Unfortunately it easily sparks unpleasant discussions, because we get passionate when it`s about our favorite animals, don´t we?

So here`s my last bit:

On the kibble:
I see your arguments as reasonable (adding insects to mimic natural flavor and the flour as a natural preservative), I`d maybe only consider simplifying the recipe as Emc said, because sometimes less is more! :) I am feeding Carny moist food to my hedgehog. Unfortunately, he doesn`t accept dry food no matter how many times or kinds I tried, but it`s been confirmed by my vet that dry kibble is also not a must when there`s a variety and live insects in the hedgehog`s diet.

On the bin cage: I agree that you have to increase the cage size or change your recommendation. Adding a playpen to such a bin cage is a great solution too. Of course, one can always go for a bigger cage and we cannot turn our own apartment into an entire hedgehog enclosure or build a zoo exhibition at home. But bigger is always better.

All in all:
Font Grass Event Logo Graphics

·
Registered
561 Posts
Your

That's pretty unkind, 😔
I hope you get whatever it is that you're looking for out of this forum. We are known as the only breeder standing up against all the horrible Mills in South Texas and combating bybs on a daily basis along with our work with the US hedgehog breeding community. We work closely with the public and discourage pet store purchases as well as intake elderly hogs that are in need and dying due to years of neglect from uneducated owners and offer them safe haven. I was so excited to participate with this forum and contribute knowledge and experience and share my passion with pet owners. At least south Texas has the friendliest babies you'll ever meet because we work with them on a daily basis. The comment was very unkind and disparaging. Wellness cat taste of the wild prey and solid gold are in our blend with the dried bugs and benebac and sweet potato flour. It is targeted to transition little ones that are needed after consulting with 2 well known breeders with decades of experience on what we can include to keep little tummies happy during transition time and give them the best of what they need.
Nothing in my post was unkind :) . As I said, I stated my opinion that nobody asked for.

dried bugs and additional added pro & pre biotics (again, that are already added into a bunch of quality cat foods) are unnecessary & arguably a potential cause of more harm than good. There is no need to add them; as already mentioned, less is more - and this is particularly true when speaking about ingredients that don’t contribute anything worthy to a mix. So it’s a simple suggestion to suggest you remove these ingredients, and instead focus on just a high quality cat mix without all the added extras. This would bring down your cost, and also make it a healthier mix - win/win.
Also; too much probiotics is a very real thing. This should not be included as an added extra “just because”. Rather, if a hoglet does have an upset tummy, this can be something you advise owners can potentially add in themselves for a few days if there is a need. But in the base diet it is detrimental.
Same with dried bugs who are basically crisps for a hedgehog. They can cause constipation and overall offer nothing beneficial. Adding oils to the food can increase palatability and benefit the hedgehog. Furthermore, owners could mix in live bugs into kibble to entice picky eaters (works like a gem whenever I’ve tried it).

Again, purely suggestive - no need to take it as an attack when it’s not.

Your cage size recommendations are simply much too small. Hedgehogs are super active animals, as I’m sure you’re aware, and bin cages are just outdated advice and inappropriate. Again, I’m not sure how saying this can be taken as mean vs how it is something you should take as constructive criticism you can improve on.
The generally accepted minimum for a hedgehog is 4’ x 2’, but of course bigger is always better.

I think it’s great that you’re focusing on quality bred hoglets to conquer folks from supporting pet stores. Truly, I do. But remember; genetics & temperament are only one part of breeding -maintaining & educating on proper diet and housing is another. :)

it’s hard to emit emotion over text. But again, none of this is an attack - constructive criticism that you as a breeder should take with consideration.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts