Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there!
So I'm a student at university who is very keen to get a Pygmy hedgehog. Not an impulse buy I've been thinking about it for about 6 months but thought best to get it at the beginning of a new year. I'm living with 5 other guys, lovely and responsible which should be a good environment for our fellow hedgehog. However a few play guitar and I have read that Pygmy hedgehogs (I'm planning on getting an African Pygmy hedgehog) are very sensitive to sound and of course sleep during the day. They also enjoy playing music, not excessively or too loud but potentially disturbing for the hedgehog? Would this be a cruel environment or would the hedgehog become accustomed to it? Also how 'smelly' can a hedgehog be if cleaned regularly and cage cleaned daily?
Thanking you all in advance for your help :)
Dan

·
Registered
677 Posts
Hedgehogs don't necessarily need quiet environments unless it's a rescue situation in which noise stresses them out. Otherwise, they adapt pretty well to the daily sounds of their home. Fitzgerald's hutch is located in what is probably the noisiest place in the house: the play "room." The main floor of our home is an open, L-shaped floor plan. The long part of the "L" is the kitchen (noises: dishwasher, me cooking 2-3 meals a day), dining area (daily piano practice for me, daily piano cacophony from the 2 year old), and living room (is there ever a time the TV isn't on?), and the short side is the play room (a 2 year old, a 6 year old, and a mini Toys R Us...enough said). There is always something going on within earshot of his cage, and he's completely fine. After the first couple of days, he wouldn't even flinch when a screeching match over a particular train erupted a foot from his hutch door.

Honestly, the bigger concern is probably the noise the hedgehog might make at night. We have a very quiet wheel -- no squeaks, minimal rattle -- but if I'm up late at night working on the couch, I can still hear when he wheels. And while he's not loud by any stretch of the imagination, his nightly activities do make noise. His food crunches, he rolls his tube around, he sometimes rearranges his "furniture," he makes excited little squeaks when he finds treats in his dig box, and he has an assortment of jingly and crinkly balls that are both in his dig box and scattered around the floor. If your hedgehog's cage is going to be in a room where someone sleeps, they need to be able to sleep through the sounds of him going through his nightly activities or be okay wearing earplugs to bed.

You also need to consider your cage set-up. The temperature of the cage will need to be maintained at 72-78 degrees fahrenheit. The most efficient way to do that will be a set up with CHE lamps. If CHEs aren't an option for whatever reason, everyone will have to be okay with using a space heater to heat the room the cage is in or heating the entire house.

You should also consider bedding options. Many people (including myself) view fleece as the best option since fleece liners do not harbor mites and are re-usable, but if you don't have your own washing machine, you're going to have to make sure you have enough liners to last between laundry days and a place to store soiled liners where they won't stink up the whole house/room until they're washed (i.e. a covered hamper dedicated to hedgehog laundry). Loose bedding is, of course, an option, but it needs to be frozen for 24+ hours before use, can often be a smellier option since it's often more difficult to spot clean, and often ends up scattered around the house.

That being said, hedgehogs really don't smell much as long as you spot clean their cage and clean the wheel daily and do a full cage cleaning weekly. I spend about 10 minutes a day spot cleaning, cleaning the wheel, and changing out food & water, and an additional 30-40 minutes each Saturday doing all that plus disinfecting the cage, completely changing out the liners, washing his hide and dig box rocks, etc. We never smell a thing from his cage (and I spend a significant amount of time sitting 2 feet from it, so I'd definitely notice with my sensitive nose).

I hope this helps! If you have any more questions, feel free to ask!

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
All that writergirlmel said, plus this. Time. They need to come out and have bonding/ playtime nightly. Sometimes during college time is limited. You will have to set time aside or multitask to ensure your hedgehog receives time with you to keep him or her friendly.

·
Registered
498 Posts
My biggest concern would be where your hedgehog is being kept and if your roommates understand what it means to own a hedgehog. I live with 4 other girls, but my bedroom is large enough that I just keep my guy in my room. I would be fairly uneasy having him in a public space solely because I imagine people would bug him during the day and not respect his natural schedule. I bond with Reggie during the day, but only if I can hear that he's awake anyways.

As for noise, they're a lot like children in that sense. When I was growing up my mom always had house parties late at night, and now I can sleep through anything short of a tornado. Most of my day is spent within four feet of Reggie's cage, and I do a range of stuff from quietly reading to loudly playing video games online while chatting with friends. He's very used to it, and the only time I hear him moving about is at night when he would be naturally awake anyways (11PM or later).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all so much for your replies and so fast! I have a large room so think I will just keep him/her in my room! When you say fleece what exactly do you mean? And is the purchasing and setting up of a CHE lamp easy- can I get it from Amazon or somewhere online? And does it use a LOT of electricity? Again thanks so much for the detailed responses you're all very kind!
Dan

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
Fleece, the fabric. No pill fleece is one of the best bedding. You can order it online, especially if you want patterns. Or wherever sells fabric would PROBABLY carry it.

CHE, Amazon would be the best. Pet stores carry them but the price is generally higher.
It uses less energy than other options and your room will be more comfortable. With out it you would be heating your room with a space heater to about 72-78 degrees.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Perfect! Sounds like everything is fitting into place for- just so long as there are no hiccups! Does anyone know a good breeder near London?

·
Premium Member
8,486 Posts
You also will need a thermostat to control the CHE, a lamp fixture rated for a CHE (not all are) and a thermometer to monitor the temp in the cage. Hedgehogs also need 12 - 14 hours of light a day and most need complete darkness at night

·
Registered
677 Posts
Definitely read the thread twobytwo linked. :)

But, basically, yes. You'd need a lamp rated for CHEs (ceramic socket) with a CHE bulb. That would plug into the thermostat, and the thermostat plugs into the outlet. You also need a lamp with a regular bulb on a timer so that your hedgehog gets a consistent 12-14 hours of light per day. Fitzgerald's light lamp turns on at 8am and off at 8pm, and his CHE lamps are running on and off throughout day & night, as determined by the thermostat.

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
Also to avoid possible frustration in the future, get the thermostat that you can plug 2 heat sources into. Sometimes 1 Che isn't enough to heat an entire cage, size of your cage and ambient room temperature play into this. But if you are in this situation and you get a thermostat with 2 outlets you only have to pick up a second Che and lamp.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts