Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All!
Last night I got a frantic call from a friend who runs a local pet supplies store - he doesn't sell live animals. Someone came in with a 30ish day pregnant female hedgehog and was panicked that they "had just read about babies and realized they couldn't handle that s**t" and wanted to get help... Rather than send the poor girl back with these awful people he called and begged me to take her. I paid $100 for the sweetest little girl - who is also terrified. I got her home and she's living in a large cage in my guest room closet.
She didn't eat a thing and spent the night carrying shavings into her nest and running laps. This morning I heard chirps and can only assume there is at least one baby in her nest.
At the risk of sounding harsh, I do not expect any babies to come out of this healthy. Mom is stressed and I'm sure totally freaked out.

I post this as a reminder that BREEDING IS NOT SOMETHING YOU DO WITHOUY THOUGHT. It is bringing LIFE into this world. This is such a traumatic experience for the momma, me, and whatever babies.
I am so angry and heartbroken and exhausted by this.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Wow, I'm glad your friend didn't send her back with those people, and I'm glad you were around to take her in. I hope Mama is doing ok. Keep us updated.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My friend told a few of his regular customers what had happened and one of them started a collection to help this little girl. He just stopped by with $135, all of which was donated to pay me back for taking this little girl.
My cousin is moving out after living with me for a year due to health reasons. She's become a hedgie lover and agreed to take this little one as a *PET* when this mess is over.
Keep little "Pocahontas" in your thoughts please!
I believe this person meant well, she's on good food and had clean trimmed feet... I'm amazed people don't realize that breeding is a huge obligation to take care of lives with feelings who rely on us for their every need!

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Aw, that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. How sweet of everyone to help! :)

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It was really an amazing thing for them to do! I teared up.
Then I removed a dead baby from her cage. I took a picture that I very much intend to send to anyone stating they are "ready for breeding" because they "like cute babies".
And I cried that these babies practically never had a chance to survive.

Parents were not from a breeder, and could very well be related. They bred her to another persons hedgehog, both bought from the same pet store. This is the same place I have reported to the ASPCA, written letters to my state representatives about, and participated in protests. They also sell puppies out of tiny cages, kittens at way too young, diseased ferrets, and reptiles with skin infections.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
It was really an amazing thing for them to do! I teared up.
Then I removed a dead baby from her cage. I took a picture that I very much intend to send to anyone stating they are "ready for breeding" because they "like cute babies".
And I cried that these babies practically never had a chance to survive.

Parents were not from a breeder, and could very well be related. They bred her to another persons hedgehog, both bought from the same pet store. This is the same place I have reported to the ASPCA, written letters to my state representatives about, and participated in protests. They also sell puppies out of tiny cages, kittens at way too young, diseased ferrets, and reptiles with skin infections.
This is intense, but I would do the same. You can tell a person over and over about the consequences of inexperienced breeding and the responsibilities of caring for a life, but some people just won't get it through their heads until it's made "real" for them. A picture of that baby, however upsetting it may be, will hopefully be enough to shock them into reality.

How is that pet store still in business? If they have such poor conditions for the animals, I wonder if there's a health code violation that could be reported to shut them down?

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
That's horrible. :/ I'm glad this little girl is getting a good ending though...just sad that it's after all the sudden stress and turmoil of pregnancy, moving, etc. I'm glad you saved the picture - there's entirely too many people who don't think about what they're doing when they decide to get into breeding, or decide they want to breed their hedgehog for fun. Drives me absolutely nuts! >< Please keep us updated on how little Pocahontas is doing & when she goes home with her new owner. I look forward to hearing a happy ending for her!

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My best friend came over today and we couldn't help but laugh... when moving my biggest excitement was having a hedgehog room! But right now I have Milton and Penny in their cages in the hedgie room. I have my new baby Eloise in temporary quarantine in my craft room. And I have Pocahontas and babies in the spare bedroom. ;)
When I went to check the temp (77) there was no noise coming from her cage.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
So, you're really saying that your hedgehogs own the whole place, and you get the sofa. (Tiny bits of humour are what make these moments tolerable. I'm glad you've got a local best friend who can help make you laugh!)

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Exactly. I thought I would keep the hedgehog mess to one room... so they reminded me who's boss!!

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Mom left one of her babies out of the nest, I managed to warm it up (it was still pretty warm and active) and get it back in the nest.
I'm hoping this little one just went for an accidental ride with mom, but please keep your fingers crossed for them all!
There was at least one baby tucked underneath mama when I returned her other baby. All seems calm now.

In other news, my boyfriend got me a little wireless security camera for my birthday! It's got a little lens I'm going to rig to look inside Eloises house to see if it bothers her. If it doesn't then I can use it to spy on her when I eventually breed her (next spring). This little camera works wirelessly so I can use an app to see it from my laptop or iPhone anywhere :)

Reactions: AleishaMarie

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
That's an awesome present! I might have to add that to my Christmas list... I'm glad the babies seem to be doing ok. How's mama holding up?

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
She seems to be a tough little girl, doing her best. She's eaten and had a lot to drink! Only thing I'm watching is there was a little blood outside the next last night. I haven't gotten to see her move but she was alert with happy (quiet) babies today. Hoping to figure out this camera to see her later.
So far we have lost two babies. I *think* there are two with her now.

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
Glad all is okay so far...Especially for mama. :) I hope the other two babies continue to do well with her, thank you for the update!

·
Registered
55 Posts
I'm glad there are people like you SpikeMoose! Best of luck and positive thoughts to you and your new momma! My hedgies also run my household lol!!! <3

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thank you so much! Got a little view of mom nursing THREE (that I could count) healthy looking babies. Holy cow I could barely hold in my immiediate squeeeeeeeee of excitement. I am so proud of this brave little girl. And it explains two babies not surviving... At least five babies for a mom in a brand new place with what could possibly be her first litter. Crazy!
Fingers crossed still :)

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Babies are two weeks old, Mama was napping outside the nest so I stole each baby for a quick peek. There are three perfect babies inside a very nice nest. There is one girl, one boy, and one who was too squirmy to get a look underneath! ;)

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
AAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!

You always seem to end up with perfectly wrinkley babies! What angelic squishballs!!! :D :D :D

1 - 20 of 33 Posts