Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My hedgehog Sophie is pregnant. We feed her and my other hedgie a handful of Purina cat food mixed with hedgehog formula pellet type things. And we will put a carrot in there too. For special treats about once or twice a week, we will give them some watermelon or banana and sometimes a little spoonful of wet cat food. Now that Sophie is pregnant, what things should we add to her diet?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
wow thnxx 4 the answers. i really appriciate it.

·
Administrator
8,486 Posts
gee sarcasm is so conducive to recieving answers...

anyways...purina is crap food...so are 99.9% of hedgehog food, I suggest you read the threads under feeding and nutrition, there are alot of good food recommended there. Carrots should only be fed cooked, hedgehogs aren't rodents and trying to chew on a whole, raw carrot can break their teeth.

Before we can answer questions relating to her being pregnant we need to have some info
1. how old is she?
2. is she with the male all the time?
3. does she come from a breeder?

Please search the nutrition section and the breeding the section. I will try to provide answers once I have more info.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Pickles&Sophie said:
My hedgehog Sophie is pregnant. We feed her and my other hedgie a handful of Purina cat food mixed with hedgehog formula pellet type things. And we will put a carrot in there too. For special treats about once or twice a week, we will give them some watermelon or banana and sometimes a little spoonful of wet cat food. Now that Sophie is pregnant, what things should we add to her diet?
a high quality cat food to repalace the Purina mix in with it for about a week ..
" catfoods like wellness, blue buffalo , ect there are tons now you can find in the feeding section "

I would add some BUGS as in meelworms waxworms and crickets you can get at the pet store .. make sure also remove your girls wheel ..

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
I hope the carrot you are giving her is either baby food or soft cooked carrots cut in small pieces. Carrots are a choking hazard if not soft.

When was she bred and how many days pregnant is she? You don't want to do a food change if she is close to due but if she is a few weeks away, start to slowly introduce a decent food.

Adding a small amount of Royal Canin Baby cat will give her a bit of extra fat and the babies will easily wean onto it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
She is about 8 months old and about 10 days into the pregnancy. Yes, i removed the male about 5 or 6 days ago. And yes, we do cook the carrrots.

Oh and is 9lives a good quality cat food, because at our local pet store they do not have Blue Buffalo or Royal Canin.

·
Administrator
8,486 Posts
9 lives cat food is NOT a quality catfood..look at the ingredients

Whole ground corn, poultry by-product meal, corn gluten meal, soybean meal, whole wheat, meat & bone meal, animal fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), salmon, chicken, beef, animal digest, salt, phosphoric acid, choline chloride, titanium dioxide, potassium chloride, vitamins (vitamin E supplement, niacin supplement, d-calcium pantothenate, thiamine mononitrate, riboflavin supplement, vitamin A supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, menadione sodium bisulfite complex, folic acid, biotin, vitamin B12 supplement, vitamin D3 supplement), taurine, minerals (ferrous sulfate, zinc oxide, manganous oxide, copper sulfate, calcium iodate, sodium selenite), red 40, yellow 5, yellow 6, potassium sorbate (used as a preservative), BHA (used as a preservative), blue 1, rosemary extract.

There is no real meat in the first 7 ingredients and there is corn listed as the main ingredient, which hedgies can not digest...actually its crappy food...just like all commercial hedgehog food sold in petstores is crappy food.

there are many good quality foods that you can get if you just look at Reapers list.

OH and you didn't answer if she came from a petstore or a breeder? the same with the male?
Do you have alot of experience owning hedgies?

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
9 lives is a crap grocery store brand food.

There should be real meat in the first 4 ingredients and no corn in the first ingredients. It has no real meat anywhere. It's all fillers and crap quality meat by products.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I suspect if you have these basic questions about food, that you have little knowledge of breeding. These are basic questions that breeders and many owners should already know. Spend some time on this forum and read, read, read. There is lots of useful information about nutrition and breeding.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
she is from my moms friends who breeds hedgehogs but the male is from a pet store.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts