Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone.

My female Teddy still has not given birth. The last couple days she gained another almost 100grams.
She has been sleeping a lot, eating and drinking well too.

This morning I wanted to weigh her again, she was sleeping so I gently tried to wake her, but she did not respond AT ALL to my touch.
I pet her for a couple seconds and talked to her and she just did not react. No movement, her eyes didn't open, so I freaked out.

I could see that she was still breathing and after a minute she finally woke up. I weighed her and she is at 510grams now.

What should I think of this? I called the vet and they want to do an ultrasound. Which is kind of expensive, of course I'm willing to do it. But i wanna know if it is truly necessary.

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I would go for the ultrasound. How soon can you get it done? If she's pregnant it sounds like there will be babies any day now. Sooner would be better for the ultrasound, so you know if something is wrong before she attempts to give birth.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would go for the ultrasound. How soon can you get it done? If she's pregnant it sounds like there will be babies any day now. Sooner would be better for the ultrasound, so you know if something is wrong before she attempts to give birth.
Thanks for the advice, i scheduled one for thursday. I'm lucky it's very close to were I live. They already knew about the possibility that Teddy's pregnant, so they're on standy-by just in case.

I talked to my mentor here too and she said that the 'touching but no response thing' is quite normal. Both my hedgies had never done it before so it scared me.

Just checked on her and she seems to be okay now. She fell asleep on my tummy in her fav blanket while I was massaging her back.

What I'm afaid of also, is that an ultrasound is a lot of stress on her too. Especially if she needs to give birth. She is super friendly and nice, so the vet told me that I could hold her. But the belly-up position is quite uncomfortable for her.

·
Administrator
8,486 Posts
I have never seen a hedgehog react like that when sleeping, not any of my pregnant females or any others I have owned. It could be normal for her but it's not something I've ever seen. It would worry me if she was mine and I'm glad to hear you're going to take her to be checked out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts