Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I’m in a huge pickle. My area of the country is about to be hit by a massive storm in two days with likely power outages. Our generator is only powerful enough to keep the fridge and sump working so I’m very concerned about keeping my Casper warm. Night temps right now dip into the low 30s. What do I do!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hand warmers from a convenience store cost about a dollar a piece and can last about 8 hours. Put hot water in those icebags they use for colds and injuries, wrap it in a blanket and that's several hours of heat too. Also, keep it inside your shirt while you wear a jacket when you're awake. I did that for 8 days with my old snake when a hurricane hit. Worked fine for him.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Yes, hand warmers are a must have for hedgehog owners. If you can get out and get some, I would suggest stocking up, both for now and the future. The smaller ones can last up to 12 hours, and I have some that work up to 18 hours. When using hand warmers, I wrap them in a piece of fabric, just to be safer about burns. You might also put some extra blankets in his cage. I also drape my hedgehog's cage with blankets in the winter to help keep the heat in.
Monitor your little guy as much as you can, especially if you yourself start to feel cold. If he starts to look he's hibernating, get him warmer as quickly as possible.
I've experienced power outages with my little guy, and he's always come out of it fine. :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts