Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read Nancy's great post about what to do in case of a power outage and it got me thinking about what would happen if the power went out for a prolonged period of time while I was at work. How would I even know?

One option would be to get a UPS and plug all the devices in it.

Another option would be to get an ip webcam so I could check on him while I'm gone and leave work if something were to happen.

Does anyone have any better ideas?

What does everyone else do?

·
Administrator
3,604 Posts
I have a cabin sitter that monitors the temperature, electricity and sound levels. If it goes above or below the set range it actually will call my cell phone to notify me of the problem. I have mine setup so that if I don't answer, it calls my husband and if he doesn't answer it continues to call between us. While not exactly cheap it has been very useful.

Mine is made by Sensaphone, I don't see the exact model on their website anymore (I've had it for several years and its probably been replaced) though. Here is their website: http://www.sensaphone.com/index.php

I used the webcam method once. It worked ok, but I had to have web access, which is not always available.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Those sound like excellent ideas.

Personally, I would be sent home if the power was out for an extended length of time. I heat up the Snuggle Safe Disks as my backup before leaving for work. It would not be a good system if we are looking at days of power outages but for a normal outage of up to 3-4 hours (past that I would be sent home) it would keep them warm in their blankets.

I also heat them at night as backup as I might not realize the furnace stopped working if I'm sound asleep and not terribly cold. Once again, they aren't my main source of heat, they are my backup.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What type of webcam did you use? The kind that hooks up to your computer or a stand alone network camera? I'm looking into a network one so I don't have to leave my computer running all day.

The cabin sitter is out of the question for me, as is getting a generator, at least until I buy a house.

The snugglesafe disks sound like a good alternative especially if leaving work is not possible. However, personally I am wary of microwaving plastic. I contacted the company that makes them about what type of plastic they use and they told me... "We use a standard plastic and have for a decade"... which honestly sounds fishy to me. I did buy one anyway for emergencies, but I rather not microwave plastic every day.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts