Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone!
We had a major ice storm here in mass. The power has been down and we have had no heat or water or lights since Thursday night! I am at my boyfriends house for a little while so i get to have one post! (i was going to use it on the photo contest but Sage isnt too happy right now!
I just wanted to let everyone know how important it is to be prepared!! I was not prepared at all and i almost lost sage! She would not wake up and finally my grandfather started a fire and i put her close to it to warm her up it took hours for her to wake up. I couldnt do anything else because all the vets stores and malls were all closed (even wal mart!) So we were doing our best but i should have had stuff already... i just didnt think that would happen here!! SO! Be prepared! Pray that we get electricity soon so sage can warm her little feetsies! And i will be back whenever we get power! :roll:

·
Registered
754 Posts
Sagesmommy is right! You need to be prepared in case of a power outage. Always have at least 72 hrs worth of handwarmers on hand per hedgehog! I would suggest to have a small carrier handy. It makes a great cage in case of an emergency. You can even put a blanket over the carrier to help keep heat in. Have lots of fleece blankets on hand.

I have on hand a Catalytic Heater http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product. ... id=1603298 in case of a power outage.

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
Your hot water tank will stay warm for hours so you can put the hot water in bottles and lay under the cage. There are blankets that you can buy that radiate heat back that you can wrap the cage in too. As Deneen mentioned, a small carrier works great as an emergency cage and is easier to heat. If all else fails, put hedgie under your clothing to stay warm.

We put in a gas free standing stove a few years ago mainly for the hedgehogs so we will have heat as long as nothing happens the gas pipeline. :shock: We camp so have propane camp stoves to heat food and water. We also have a catalytic heater but a different make than Deneen. http://www.mrheater.com/productdetails_extended.asp?catid=41&id=24

·
Registered
372 Posts
Never forget that YOU are an important source of heat. Tucking a cold hedgehog down inside your shirt, next to your skin and keeping yourself warm will warm a cold hedgehog very effectively.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Sorry to hear about the power and sage. I would tend to agree with hedgiemom. If I have had a hedgie get too cold, as spikey as they may be you cannot beat bodyheat to start you off but those handy snap 24-72hr heat packs are great too.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yay!!!!! power! finally after 6 days! Sage is fine and i will be going out this weekend and buying hand warmers and some sort of non electric heater.if this happens again she will need more than hand warmers!
does anyone know if sage tried to go into hibernation more than once will it effect her in the long run?

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
Each hibernation attempt lowers their immune system so the more attempts they have in a short time span, the more at risk they are for illness. I'd keep a very close watch on her for the next month.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts