Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tucker wouldn't be too thrilled to know I'm posting his ''personal business'' on the enternet, but he's not doing very well with his litter training. He has one of those big ferrit corner litter boxes and he ''forgets'' to use it sometimes.

Anyways, does anyone have tips to help him ''remember'' to use the litter box?

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
The majority of hedgehogs will not become litter trained so don't be surprised if he never does.

Try putting a low sided pan under his wheel and extending out about 5-6". They usually poop on their wheel so having the litter box underneath catches any poops and often gives them the idea.

Some hedgehogs like to potty in private. I have a couple that have an igloo to sleep in and another igloo to potty in. lol

Some hedgehogs will choose a corner or spot to go in. If he has a favourite spot, put a low sided pan there.

The ferret corner boxes are fairly high at the side. He might prefer something lower.

Good luck. :) :)

·
Administrator
3,603 Posts
I think all of my hedgehogs have chosen to go behind their wheels. I leave a space just big enough for them to turn around in behind their wheels and they will go back there. My newest (who came here in November), I noticed a week ago that she is picking up the practice too. I think they feel like they have some protection while they are back there. Now of course most of them have also gone while on their wheels as well.

·
Registered
15 Posts
My Lucy prefers to go behind her wheel, in the corner of her cage. She also tends to go "vertically", meaning, it looks like she pushes her backside up against the side of the cage and then goes. So, I then placed one of those corner litter boxes in the corner of the cage, cut a hole along the base so that her wheel could fit in it, but yet her urine wouldn't leak out, and now she just does her business in there.

So I guess she's litter box trained, but I just moved the litter box to where she insisted on going. ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts