Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
It is possible...Only if the hedgie wishes it to be possible :lol:
Many just have a litter pan, filled with their choice of litter(usually pelleted). I personally use Purina's Yesterdays News.
You can try manually picking up stray poops and placing it in the litter pan, and see how that goes. I was lucky with my boy and he picked up on it immediately, without me having to do anything. But there are some who will refuse to be litter trained.
Also, place the litter pan in a spot where the hedgie seems to prefer going potty.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well from what I can tell he poops everywhere...lmao He is kept on all bedding so it's not like he has "bedding" and "litter" really - his cage is the litter box....

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Could I put in a blanket (instead of his bedding) and just put the bedding in a box? I just worry that he would poop and pee all over the blanket if I did that...and I think he likes being able to burrow in the bedding...

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Many people around here use a cage liner made out of fleece, either making it themselves or purchased online. (I use fleece material I buy from Walmart). Its very possible he is going to poop and pee on the blanket, until (and if) he gets going with the litter pan. If he's been on the bedding all of his life, if you switch to a fleece liner (much neater and cleaner than the wood bedding), fill the litter pan with the shavings, and he might prefer to go on it. I did this with my girl, who was a year old and had been on aspen bedding all her life. When I switched to fleece, I filled her litter pan (she was not litter trained) with aspen bedding, and she used it for about two weeks. She stopped because she suddenly became shy, and now requires a more 'private' bathroom. I haven't tried the bedding in her outhouse yet, just paper towels. So far she has stuck to it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hmmm ok, I will have to give that a try. Speaking of the wood bedding, part of my whole motivation for trying to potty train him is that, in all of my previous pet experience, it is REALLY bad to keep pets (i.e. ferrets, chinchillas, rats, etc) on wood chips/shavings as bedding. It is known to cause respiratory problems and, for some pets (like reptiles in particular) can be accidentally ingested and cause an impaction. Is this also true for hedgehogs? Blue is kept on the wood shaving bedding.... :S

1 - 8 of 8 Posts