Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have a one year and about eight month old hedgehog named Oona. She lives in a cube & coroplast type cage with a bucket wheel and a specially made liner with a corduroy exterior and fleece in the middle for padding. Things have been turbulent for as long as I've had her; she's gone through a course of Revolution and even two different Ivermectin injections for a quill loss problem that was chalked up to mites, and was recently spayed in order to remove a uterus that it turns out had a tumor in it; tests were run and confident that the problem hadn't spread beyond the uterus and that the intestines and stomach were fine.

It's been a month since her procedure and she was dropping 1-3 quills for a couple of days. I noticed dry skin and scratching as problems so I put a bit of olive oil in a bath for her. The dry skin problem seems to be tamped down, but the quill loss has been at about 13-15 quills per day for two days straight.

I'm probably going to get in touch with a vet by phone and discuss the possibility of fungus, since I've only ever used a liner for her and everyone figured the mites to have been killed off by all those treatments one year ago.

I suppose my question is whether there is any post-surgery stress that wouldn't have manifested itself immediately that would contribute to quill loss as a stress symptom, or if the bath really was that bad of an experience. Your answer won't change my phone call to the vet, I'm just incredibly frustrated with how frequently poor Oona has been ill even though to my knowledge I've done my best to make things healthy, clean and stress-free for her.

Thank you.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both. I'll keep an eye on her for another week before I make the call, depending on if things get better, and given the lack of anything else that appears to be wrong those sound like pretty good explanations! :D

Her quill loss between the end of the anti-mite treatments and shortly after the surgery was pretty much zero per day, for months. It was spectacular. This is what made it particularly alarming when it suddenly started up again.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.