Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Holly is 3 years old. Super cuddly and loving.
2,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Holly is 3.5 years old.
I found a lump - Which turned out to actually be a string of 3 small lumps!
And then once she was under the vet found another lump in a different place, which was much bigger.
They have all been sent off for testing, will get results of what they are in 1-2 weeks time.

So she was seen this morning for examination and then they kept her and she had her surgery today and has come today to.

So anyway I didn't think to ask the vet (and they are now closed so I cant call them to ask) is loose cardboard bedding (made for pets) okay to use still? Or should I be using something else while she is recovering? Will the loose cardboard aggravate it?
I can easily sort something out before putting her away tonight I just need to know!

Also one of them seems pretty messy so whats the best way to clean that - again something I should have thought about at the vet and didn't!

This is the first time I've had a hog with surgery so sorry if these are stupid questions!

I know that replies here can take ages but I'm really hoping that someone knows and can tell me in the next few hours!!

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Okay so I have decided to just change to fleece as its softer and probably safer just incase the cardboard could irritate the wounds.

And I have found to boil water let it cool and add a little salt to use to clean it up a bit- being gentile obviously.

But if anyone has anything they can add to it I'd still love to know.

·
Administrator
3,671 Posts
Where were lumps/are her incision(s)? How big of an incision?

Personally, I use light color or white cloth liners during post op. It keeps things from getting stuck and I can monitor for blood, discharge and urine spots on the liner much easier than in any type of substrate bedding.

For cleaning, be as gentle as possible. If she has external sutures be careful when cleaning around them. You don't want to catch the suture. Most of the time any dried blood will flake off on its own fairly quickly. Depending on the tumor and how they removed it, you may also find that she will have a lot of bruising around the incision site. It can be really disturbing, but it can be normal depending on the tumor removal.

Watch her behavior closely and monitor her temperature. I have had a couple who wanted extra warmth the first night or two after a big surgery.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jaw Finger Fawn Beard Ingredient

This a photo much easier than trying to describe it!
The vet said she only made small incisions.

I only wanted to clean around the top one, shoulder area I think the vet called it, as she seemed to be trying to lick it clean and I didn't want her to accidently hurt herself - Holly loves to be clean and is always cleaning her own feet ect.

The vet said she used disovable stitches under the skin, as she thought it would be better for her and easier than trying to remove stitches after recovery.

Holly only likes loose bedding, I tried her on fleece liners before and she got really mad about it, so I have gone with long loose fleece stripes, that are light in colour.
So nothing to really get stuck to, soft, and probably a whole lot better than the cardboard bedding she normally has.

I use white kaytee clean and cosy as litter, which I have left in for tonight but if something like paper towels or puppy pads would be better for the next week then I will swap it out for that in the morning.

She likes 26 degrees c at normal times and the thermometer is reading 26.7 degrees c.
And I have checked on her just now and she doesnt seem cold, she has been back in there for about 3 hours now to, so should be okay the rest the night, my room is pretty warm and her thermostat shouldnt let it drop either. If anything it always heats a little more than its set to!

Being the first time doing this I just want to make sure I do it all right, and with making sure I got everything I was told by the vet they both slipped my mind!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Those incisions look so precise and clean! Really nice work by your vet. I haven't dealt with hedgie surgery but I had skin cancer removed from my lip last year and my surgeon suggested a damp q-tip gently rolled over the stitches to clean dried blood off the wound, and then I put a sort of polysporin ointment on for the first couple weeks to fend off infection. If you don't have or don't want to use q tips, a clean, damp gauze would work to clean off any excess dried blood. Main point is to be gentle and not aggravate the stitches or any open wound. If your hog is licking the wound a lot I'd say call your vet. I've never seen a hedgie in a cone but could be cute if nothing else!

I'm impressed that Holly let you take pics of her belly like that! Good luck to the both of you.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Those incisions look so precise and clean! Really nice work by your vet. I haven't dealt with hedgie surgery but I had skin cancer removed from my lip last year and my surgeon suggested a damp q-tip gently rolled over the stitches to clean dried blood off the wound, and then I put a sort of polysporin ointment on for the first couple weeks to fend off infection. If you don't have or don't want to use q tips, a clean, damp gauze would work to clean off any excess dried blood. Main point is to be gentle and not aggravate the stitches or any open wound. If your hog is licking the wound a lot I'd say call your vet. I've never seen a hedgie in a cone but could be cute if nothing else!

I'm impressed that Holly let you take pics of her belly like that! Good luck to the both of you.
The vets have done hog surgeries a lot, they also werent to deep which might help!

She was doing it but was very good at stopping, I generally think she was trying to just clean it though, because she was also doing all her feet at the same time so was having a bit of a cleaning session and was just going back to it through that, so thought if I cleaned it up then she will leave it be after.

We always have q-tips because they are always coming in helpful so I can gently roll a damp one of those over it.

I think once its clean she will likely leave it alone. But yea if after its cleaned she still licks it I will call the vet up.

Holly is very chill girl, so I just held her and then my took the photos, and she was just still for about 3 mins for us.
I have pictures of the lumps, although only one can really be seen.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
When I got her up to give her the meds she needs, she licked it a bit, and it looked a bit more red than yesterday. So I used a q-tip very gently and cleaned it up a bit getting moat if the blood off, and the skin looked a bit red, - I'm not sure if licking it can do that? I am guessing becauase the other incision isn't red at all and she hasnt touched that one.

So anyway about an hour ago, I went up to check her on her, she was out doing her business, then went for a drink, and ate a bit. I pretty much just watched her and then when she stopped and just looked at me I decided to stroke her and see if I can get a look, and it didnt look very red anymore like this morning.

I do have one more question, is it normal for the skin around that are to like bag a bit? I've add photos to try show what I mean!

Hedgehog Erinaceidae Domesticated hedgehog Organism Rodent

In this one its pretty clear to see
Sorry she is in the litter which is now a puppy pad not the loose paper litter in the photo.

Hedgehog Erinaceidae Domesticated hedgehog Rodent Whiskers

Hedgehog Erinaceidae Domesticated hedgehog Rodent Pink

And then these 2 you can see the line of the skin bagging, but different positions show it a bit differently.

I can call the vet I know, but they can be very busy so if unless its something thats not really normal/no one knows if its fine or something to be concerned about then I would rather not add to the busy phone line.

·
Administrator
3,671 Posts
Some hedgehogs can have a lot of loose skin in that area and once the fur has been shaved off it often looks baggy in those that don't have a lot of extra 'fluff' to fill it out.

I've also seen it look a little pinched if they had to remove a little skin with the tumor to get clean margins. I normally don't worry about that too much initially as it often returns to normal as they heal. I've always been told just monitor for inflamed/hot to the touch, red or streaks of red, swelling, oozing, etc.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Okay great thank you.
I just wanted to make sure that its not really anything.

Yea the vet mentioned most of that to watch for, she also said that one will probably bruise because of where it was near a muscle.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ria- thank you so much for posting this. We will be going to the same thing here in a few days and I have so many questions. You helped me think of things to ask the vet for postop. Please keep us posted on how you’re managing the recovery and any other little tidbits you may learn. I know I will superduper appreciate it! Speedy recovery to your sweet prickly pear. I have to admit I’m super impressed by the incisions. Looks like you found an awesome vet.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ria- thank you so much for posting this. We will be going to the same thing here in a few days and I have so many questions. You helped me think of things to ask the vet for postop. Please keep us posted on how you’re managing the recovery and any other little tidbits you may learn. I know I will superduper appreciate it! Speedy recovery to your sweet prickly pear. I have to admit I’m super impressed by the incisions. Looks like you found an awesome vet.
My vet came highly recommended by other hog owners they are main one in my area - though have to travel about 30mins they are 100% worth it!

This is probably a totally normal thing, but the skin where the fur is gone feels very weird! Just so that you already know and are ready for it, I knew it wouldnt feel the same but didnt know it would feel like that.

She doesnt like going from the loose litter to the puppy pad
Plant Comfort Art Wood Linens

This is the second morning I have found it this way😂

And this is her incisions this morning, 3 days after the surgery.
Jaw Gesture Finger Whiskers Fawn

They both have a little bruising, but they both look like they are doing well.

Ignore her messy nails they will be cleaned and trimmed tonight!
She was having non of it the last few nights.

·
Administrator
3,671 Posts
Looking good! That long pretty white fur they have can take what seems like forever to grow back too.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ohh I do have one more question, the vet said she only needs the meds and now wheel for a week.

She should be fine to travel about 3 hours, in the car, to some of my family (she has been there twice since lockdown) on the 21st October?

This might seem totally stupid I just want to make sure its fine for her.
I don't have anyone I can trust to leave her with so if its not a good idea then I will cancel it.

·
Administrator
3,671 Posts
If she normally travels well and doesn't stress out, I'd likely go ahead with my trip. You'll just have to monitor her healing, but so long as nothing negative happens, I bet she will be in great shape by the time your trip comes up. Its been ages since I had a hedgehog with stitches that had to be removed, but I want to say we only gave them about 14 days before removal.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yea she travels with no stress she just sleeps the whole way there, and then settles fine once she is in her holiday set up.
So thats great! She is doing really well other than not liking that she hasnt got loose litter anymore.
Thats great information to know to.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Since Friday evening I have had to fight to give her the meds instead of her taking them great like she was before!

She has also been totally trashing her viv the last 3 nights, so I think she is missing her wheel to!

Its been a week tomorrow, so her last doses of meds are tomorrow, and I can give her wheel back that evening.
Would it be bad to give her wheel back a day early instead of her totally trashing her viv?
She is only ever on her wheel 40 mins to 1 hour and half throughout the night.

This is her incisions currently, photo was taken last night
Gesture Finger Fawn Fish Human leg

·
Administrator
3,671 Posts
You'll have to use your best judgement of is 24 hrs going to make a difference. But I have had to give a wheel back early before and have also given it for short periods of time and removed it if I thought the hedgehog was over exerting itself.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I decided to wait the last night, partly because by the time I saw this she was already back and I need to fiddle around to get it in, but also because I feel like she could use the extra night before getting it back.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
This is from last night, one week after her surgery
Carnivore Fawn Whiskers Terrestrial animal Snout

I think that they are looking good and healing well.

She no longer needs her meds, and she got her wheel back Monday evening and ran just over an hour Monday and Tuesday night. She is really loving having her wheel back.

Still waiting to hear from the vet (week 2 of waiting) to see what the lumps actually were. If I have heard nothing by Monday 18th then I will have to call them to find out.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts