Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just adopted my second hedgie - a boy. (My first is a retired female.) For the last couple days I have been able to catch Pippin observe a ritual that I know my other does not do!

At about 5:30pm he comes out of his snuggle sack and stretch his legs and head over to the corner of his sterlite bin (where is wheel is) and take a pee and poop - have a snack and go back to bed. I know nothing about this little man prior to me getting him - so this might be a habit he has always had.

Now I am not complaining but I use fleece liners and this peeing in the same spot is making me think that maybe he might use a litter box of some kind. My other pog has a CWS wheel with a litter box and she doesn't use the litter box but I put it under her wheel to catch her pee and poop while she is wheeling and it works wonders. I just got a Carolina bucket wheel for my little man, but I have a feeling he is still going to take his afternoon walk about and pee and poop in the corner before going back to bed. He does poop on his wheel when running at night as well.

Feel free to just throw some thoughts out there...........what do you use for a little box. He is in a very large sterlite tub so I don't have a lot of room for a big "box".

Thanks. Kathy

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
I use a small 'To Go' container for Snarf's. Specfically, the small size at the deli at Safeway. It's about 4x7" and over an inch deep but the plastic is really easy to cut. Black bottom...hinged...clear lid. I have used both the lid and the bottom.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Wow it is so funny you just asked about this because a miracle happened in this house! Ok so my Adult male hedgehog whom I've had since a baby has always pooped and peed in his wheel. Well recently i bout him a bigger cage and a big rabbit litter pan which takes up the corner and I put his wheel facing it on the other wall. Now, I haven't cleaned his wheel in days......and it is not poopy. He has been going poop and pee in his litter box for the majority of the time this entire week! WHAT A GOOD BOY!Because the wheel was facing the other way I would always just put my head in his cage and just check it out and I scoop his litter every morning inside his cage. I always take him out during the day and put him in a plastic bin with the arm and hammer natural corn fiber litter and let him go potty. Then i scoop it out and flush it down the toilet. I always brush him off and check his boy area to make sure none got stuck. Then I put my hand out and when he is ready he just climbs in my hand and is ready to go back to bed. I used the same litter in his litter pan....and he uses it and loves it. :)I have seen little particles get stuck in his little boy area though so that is kind of scary, but I always get them out and he always lets me get them out.

I think that is so cute your hedgehog does that :) what a good boy! I love that he has a snack before and after! :)

·
Registered
276 Posts
I use a Tupperware lid with a paper towel for Zoé, I just happened to have one that is a long rectangle with rounded corners so it doesn't take too much space. I was hoping she would go under he wheel like Clémentine has always done but she chose the corner of her bin right besides her igloo.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts