Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone! I have a 2 1/2 old Hedgehog named Miko and he's my pride and joy! Today, literally only today, he was acting slightly off when I went to clean his cage. I had sewn felt pouches for him to sleep in and he's used them since he was a baby, and it's common for him to get 'upset' being in one and exit it, hiding underneath the bedding in his cage. So I didn't think anything of it when he was hiding under his bedding. I gave him a new pouch and he went inside of it and everything was fine. A few minutes later, I noticed he was out of his pouch again, and sitting behind his wheel. He was breathing kind of rapidly and harshly, and he wasn't moving much. I gave him a 'nudge' and he moved, rushing back to his pouch. On the way there, he sort of lost his balance and quickly regained it, going into his pouch. But he still didn't seem right to me. So I took him to a walk in appointment to his vet. The Vet asked me if he tilts his head to one side when I speak to him, I said no because he doesn't. he asked if he wobbles when he walks, and me being distressed slightly from thinking Mike's dying said yes, even though now that I realize it, it was only this morning that he wobbled once and didn't afterwards. The Vet, who I've trusted with all of my pets, exotic and not, told me that he was 'pretty sure' that Miko had WHS. Now, I was pretty shaken up by this and I spent the remaining time afterwards crying as the doctor told me what would happen to Miko. I get Miko home, and I'm talking to his 'pa', my boyfriend, and my boyfriend points out that Miko doesn't wobble besides that slight hiccup this morning, he's been eating fine, drinking fine, and going to the bathroom like normal. I did a TON of research on WHS, and I firmly believe my Vet misdiagnosed Miko. Because Miko has none of the other symptoms. The only thing that made sense was that a week ago, on a particularly cold night at our house, I woke up to Miko having a cold belly. I wrapped him in blankets and he warmed right up and was totally fine, just slightly lathargic following. I'd like to get some opinions on this because I really want the best for my hedge and this feeling of uncertainty towards my Vet is now eating away at me.
Just for noting, I thought back to what my Vet said about WHS and he said to me, "I haven't taken my exam on it yet, so I do not know much information about it." He also looked up WHS in front of me on his computer and claimed, "He was learning more information". Unfortunately, I can't change Vet's because he's the only one in my area that deals with Exotic animals. The second closest one is almost six hours away for me unfortunately.
Sorry for the long post! I'm just looking for answers!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just for noting, I thought back to what my Vet said about WHS and he said to me, "I haven't taken my exam on it yet, so I do not know much information about it." He also looked up WHS in front of me on his computer and claimed, "He was learning more information". He also told me that he just learned about this, because although he isn't an exotic animal vet, he was taught about exotic animals and by what he's said in the past, I do trust him. He also gave me a prescription for pain meds for Miko, but I'm not using them until Miko shows signs of this, if he even does. Unfortunately, I can't change Vet's because he's the only one in my area that deals with Exotic animals. The second closest one is almost six hours away for me unfortunately.

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
Unfortunately your vet's kinda clueless. It's very unlikely to be WHS from what you described, and your vet had no reason to even mention it with so little to go on. "Wobbly" does not immediately mean WHS. And since it can't be tested for, if it WERE a possibility, all other possibilities would need to be ruled out before assuming that's what it is. To be quite honest, it was very irresponsible of your vet to mention it at all. It's unfortunate that he's the only one you have to work with!

Back to Miko's issues. What temperature is his cage? Do you have a heating set up for him? And does he have a light schedule?

It's hard for us to say anything for sure without seeing him & what actually happened, but from your description of your behavior, it sounds like he was possibly just bothered by you being around the cage? Or perhaps he was bothered by something with the pouch. He might've just stumbled while running back to his pouch. Personally, as long as he's eating/drinking/wheeling normally, I would just keep an eye on his behavior for a week or so & see if he does anything else out of the ordinary to give you more clues.

Edit: It's still bothering me how irresponsible the vet was to give you a complete guess for an answer, especially one he hasn't even properly researched first. Personally, I'd see if you can return the pain meds & get your money back for those, at least, even if you can't for the entire visit. You shouldn't have to pay for them when they're almost certainly not going to be necessary for Miko.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the reply! It's just bothering me what he said because now it's in the back of my head. I let Miko rest the remainder of the night and I'll check in the morning to make sure he ate and drank and such. I looked up online to find a different Vet and unfortunately, I found one but it's 2 hours away and I don't really have the time to drive that far away in the hours it would probably be open. As for Miko, he was fine the rest of tonight. Kind of lathargic but I took that as an overwhelming day. Hopefully everything is fine! We're just going to take it day by day.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts