Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have a 2yr old hedgehog named Hayley (born March 21, 2012). She has been a great little girl, very social and sweet.
My house stays from 74-77 degrees. I live in South Florida and we rarely have any cold snaps, especially since all this has started.
She always has a t-shirt or hedgie bag to lay in.

I believe this to be unrelated but, she started having some uterine bleeding issues back in October 2013 and my vet suggested spaying her after we tried several rounds of antibiotics. She seemed to be a little better, barely any blood.
In late April, I noticed that when she would eat, she would lay down after a few moments. I thought it was sort of cute at the time.

In May, she started acting "drunk": a little shaking when she was just moving about but it only seemed to occur right when she woke up to eat.

I was on vacation for a week and my parents, noticed her getting worse. She would normally run to the other side of her cage to eat her favorite treats...mealworms. She will stand for a moment to eat the mealworms but then she slowly leans to her side and just lays there.

I have attached a link to the videos we took trying to get her to eat and move. Sorry for the shaking video, that was my mom.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
she started having some uterine bleeding issues back in October 2013 and my vet suggested spaying her after we tried several rounds of antibiotics. She seemed to be a little better, barely any blood.
I need a bit more clarification. So she was spayed? You say "she seemed a little better, barely any blood." Does this mean she continued to bleed a bit after the spay?

How is her appetite for her regular food?

·
Registered
837 Posts
I lost my hedgehog to wobbly hedgehog syndrome. It was heartbreaking to watch. If that is what your girl has, you will notice balance problems and frequent falling over. When she falls over, does she always fall to one side?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry for not clarifying, we didn't spay her. The vet said she had an infection and we needed to get that under control before he would do surgery.
She hasn't really eaten any of her regular food or drinking much water.

She does seem to lean/fall on just one side, her right side. I did notice that she is tries to steady head by her chin or nose.

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
Has there been any blood since being on the antibiotics?

I'd take her back to the vet. She looks too lethargic for this to be WHS. Also, usually WHS doesn't affect their appetite until it's fairly advanced.

My thoughts would be that this is not WHS and she is ill, either related to the bleeding, or ear infection or something else.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Her appetite is still good but she just has a very hard time walking to her food. She just ate 3 meal worms but they had to be right next to her face, she was licking her lips the whole time.

And yes she is still bleeding. Some days its very faint light pink and other days its very bright red.

Her ears look clear and she isn't having any sensitivity to me touching them...She always loves the top of get ears to be rubbed.

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
Has she been bleeding since October...? Either way, she needs to go back to the vet ASAP and it sounds to me (though Nancy has more experience with this kind of thing) like she probably needs to go ahead and be spayed. I would guess the lethargy & weakness are due to blood loss. The sooner you get her spayed (if the vet agrees with that, anyway), the better - the more blood she loses, the riskier the surgery will be. If this has been going on since October, it should've been done months ago.

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
I agree and would have said everything Lilysmommy has said. She should have been spayed when the antibiotic did not stop the bleeding.

·
Registered
837 Posts
I agree- I think you should get her to the vet.

Reactions: Nancy

·
Registered
944 Posts
My Nara had uterine bleeding for just several days and her blood work showed she was anemic--her red blood cell count was low and the white blood cell was high, so she had an infection too. They put her on antibiotics and an anti-inflammatory drug for 10 days, then we had her spayed.
Your girl may be anemic and that's what may be causing the imbalance and weakness. I agree with everyone else, you need to see a vet ASAP. The sooner the better. Bleeding is nothing that can wait.

Reactions: Nancy
1 - 10 of 10 Posts