Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I have an egyptian long eared hedgehog who is 4 years old. about 2.5 weeks ago he started developing this wheezing instead of his normal huffing sounds. it was quite bad when he was doing it but when he was breathing normally/not trying to huff and hiss at me there was no wheezing or laboured breathing. He slowly got worse and seemed quite lethargic - he wasnt running around at all when i let him out of his cage which he normally would do and he wasn't eating/drinking much at all.

I took him to the vet at this stage but they don't really have too much experience with hedgehogs.. she said his heart sounded fine but from his symptoms she would guess it is pneumonia or a URI. She prescribed antibiotics and also an anti parasitic medicine. He is finished his course of antibiotics today and I see very little improvement. He is eating wet food and treats but his appetite certainly has not returned to normal and he still is drinking a reduced amount of water and is not running around.

Any advice would be hugely appreciated as I am now getting very worried about him! I would have thought the antibiotics would have improved his condition much more than they have!:cry:

· Registered
Holly is a female African Pygmy Hedgehog. She weighs about 463g and was born May 28, 2019.
636 Posts
I would try another vet. If you cannot find one, maybe try looking up a well-known one and calling in to try and set up a video appointment or something. I don't know if that would help, just an idea. But I would try to find someone who is a little more experienced with hedgehogs :) Good luck!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.