Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there!
I have a six-year-old Hedgie, she has always been full of energy and loves running. For the past few months she was living with family while I moved. I got her back recently And have noticed a big change in her energy levels and personality. She no longer runs on her wheel and just sleeps most of the time. She has a large mass on her shoulder which I believe to be a tumor. Unfortunately I moved to a quite rural area and cannot find a vet willing to see her. Also extremely concerning, last night I saw what I believe to be a stuck bowel movement when I was putting feeding her. I assumed she would pass it overnight. However today I noticed it was longer and still protruding from her rectum. It looks to me as if it could be her bowels. has anyone experienced this before? I’m trying to get her into a vet a few hours from me ASAP.

·
Administrator
3,831 Posts
I have no experience witha prolapsed bowel, but I have had one with a prolapsed uterus. Either would require an emergency veterinary visit. I was told to keep it moist until we could get it fixed. With ours, the uterus was enlarged and would slip back inside after it was moistened with a cool damp wash cloth and would come back out later. She required an emergency surgery to fix it. Sadly for me all hedgehog vets were telling me they couldn't see her or it would be 4-6 weeks for an emergency surgery (was right at the height of our COVID lockdowns). I found a lady who had never done surgery on a hedgehog of this type but was experienced with rabbits and she did a fantastic job. Keep calling and ask if someone is willing to try.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts