Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a little two year old hedgehog named Zed who's been fighting an infection in his spleen. Yesterday he climbed the outside of his cage and fell. I rushed him to the vet, she checked him out and he looked okay. I'm worried he fell and injured his enlarged spleen. The doctor said to watch him but I'm not sure what I'm looking for. He's very sleepy and cries until I hold him in my lap. He's eating okay and he was running on his wheel last night. What signs should I be looking for and for how long is his risk of internal bleeding?

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
Check for major changes in attitude/behavior, changes in how much he eats & drinks, changes in activity (this can either be decrease in running, or a sudden increase - sometimes small mammals/wildlife will show stress or pain with an increase in activity), and check his pee & poop for looking abnormal at all. With poop, internal bleeding can make it look black, sticky & tar-like (which indicates bleeding further up in the GI tract) or it can show in the poop as actual red blood (which is in the intestines). Also take notice if he seems to be more sensitive than usual to you touching any particular spots, particularly his stomach or sides.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you so much! He's eating and drinking normally, he had really dark not normal looking poop but after looking at it it's actually dark green which the vet said is a result of his antibiotics. I'm a first time hedgie mama so of course everything is new and scary. He was given a pain killer when he was at the vets to calm any inflammation. I'm hoping he's just sleepy from his infection, the vet will check on him on Monday to look him over.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts