Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiya,

Don't know if anyone has any ideas, but Buddy is about 4 years old now and the last few nights I've noticed his pee has had a way stronger smell than usual. I didn't think much of it because other than that he's acting totally normal, until today when I heard him making squeaky noises, very rapidly. They stop when he huffs at me though. I initially thought his nose was blocked but he doesn't appear to be having difficulty breathing, I'm wondering if he is in some kind of pain and that's what the sounds are. I hope not though.

I've checked the usuals:
Poop isn't green but it's larger and mushier than usual. No mucus.
No blood in pee, no change of colour to pee.
Is eating and drinking and running on wheel as normal.
No snotty nose.
The only weird thing I have noticed is his testicles, or at least that general area, appear to be very swollen. If I poke gently they are not hard and he doesn't shout in pain though.

I'm taking him to the vet first thing in the morning but they're not very used to seeing hedgies so if anyone has any suggestions or similar experiences it would help a lot!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update on my own post!

I'm starting to think he has a cold.
I decided to give him a warm bath in case he was having trouble passing poo which was causing the swollen testicle look (they're not red or inflamed, they just look bigger than I remember them), and while I was watching him he sneezed and his breathing returned to normal for a few seconds and he licked the snot off his nose. The squeaking started back up after a couple of seconds.

Hopefully the vet can give me something to treat the poor guy (if it is in fact a cold and not something else). I don't think he is in any immediate danger as he doesn't appear to be lethargic and he's eating and drinking fine. Will update tomorrow!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So, we went to the vet this morning.
Luckily we now have an exotics vet who seemed to know what she was on about and has cared for hedgehogs herself.
Buddy acted as if nothing had been happening to warrant his vet visit; he made the normal huff noises, he ran around exploring the vet table happily while chirping and the vet was thoroughly confused. He didn't seem sick at all.

I had a sample of his poop which she tested and it turns out he has a bacterial gut infection which is now getting treated, but other than that and a little bit of dry skin she said he seemed ok. I showed her a video of the noises he was making and she said it sounded like happy noises to her, but to me they sounded unusually high pitched.

I brought him home and gave him the medication and he had it, drunk some water and went to sleep. No unusual noises.

Woke him up to give him the medication again now (12 midnight) and straight after I put him back in his cage he starts making the high pitched whining noises again. It sounds almost like a crying puppy. Pulled him out, checked him over, he huffed at me and stopped the crying. Put him back and he whined while he ate. He then sat down for a while, had a poo and a wee and went back to bed whining the whole time. Then silence when he went to bed.

I'm seriously confused. He only makes this sound at night!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just figured it out... he's making mating noises... the noises he is making matches the youtube videos of mating noises.

Why...

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Final Update (hopefully)

Last night he started huddling in a corner making sounds like a crying puppy and rocking back and forth, obviously that is not good hedgehog behaviour.

Took him straight to the vet as soon as it opened and they x-rayed him and tested everything else they could think of, they even checked his teeth. He appears to be perfectly healthy apart from the infection and they found he has a LOT of gas in his intestines which is being caused by the infection and must be the cause of his discomforted cries.

I was given a new oral medication to help him pass the gas and to help with the pain and tonight he seems to be feeling much better. He chirped away happily while he stuffed his face full of food, his poop is looking much more solid and normal, he's farting pretty loudly but he didn't huddle in a corner crying, instead he smacked his lips and went back to bed.

I'm glad I trusted my gut instinct, knew something was wrong!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts