Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, everyone! Pudge, my 4 1/2 year old hedgehog has been scratching at his left ear a ton lately. He also hasn’t been running on his wheel the past week and I noticed he is unbalanced and uncoordinated when walking and he never has been before! After reading others post that have similar symptoms, I’m leaning towards an ear infection. A few weeks ago he slipped in the bath and I think he got some water in his ears because he started shaking his head right after (although I didn’t actually see his ear go under) but it was highly possible. However, he stopped with the head shaking later that night. I did wipe his ear as best I could with a dry baby towel and he sleeps on his side so I was hoping any water that could have been in there dripped out. Everything seemed fine, but this last week all his activity stopped and his ear is now red and irritated from his non-stop scratching. He does not have mites, I only bath him when he needs it with aveeno oatmeal, his nails get cleaned and trimmed every week and I have been putting flax seed oil on his food and occasionally on his dry spots (like behind his ear) when needed. Unfortunately he will not let me look in his ears and freaks out whenever I go near them and touch them. I don’t notice discharge, but his ear canal is red. I assume it’s super sensitive by his response to me trying to gently move it to look inside. Another bad thing is I live in a super small town who’s vets mainly care for livestock and cats/dogs, not exotics. My local vet has seen him before and said he could care for him, but by the way he was acting towards him, I’m skeptical and am positive that he has never worked with an hedgehog before.. :( he hates the vet, but if I manage to take him in, what is a safe ear drop or antibiotic that could possible be prescribed for him? I’m nervous the vet will give him something that he shouldn’t take due to his lack of experience with hedgies. Also, any OTC options or other things to care for him are greatly appreciated! I read that normal

·
Administrator
3,817 Posts
Most likely baytril, but there are other options. Most of the time I have had to do ear drops, but oral medicine may be possible too.

There is a book called Exotic Animal Formulary. Its a medical book of various medications and how to dose them and it includes a section on hedgehogs. I have a copy of it and take it with me to offer to vets who have no experience before.

In case you haven't run across it, there are a few posts here describing ear infections, this one has lots of information in it please help. blood near ear.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Most likely baytril, but there are other options. Most of the time I have had to do ear drops, but oral medicine may be possible too.

There is a book called Exotic Animal Formulary. Its a medical book of various medications and how to dose them and it includes a section on hedgehogs. I have a copy of it and take it with me to offer to vets who have no experience before.

In case you haven't run across it, there are a few posts here describing ear infections, this one has lots of information in it please help. blood near ear.
Awesome! Thank you so much. I will definitely be purchasing that book!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts